wifi channel

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

gtyler

wifi channel

Post by gtyler »

hi, I have 2 WT3020 routers with gargoyle, set the 2nd one to connect to the first one. Router 1 wifi AP is set to ch 5. I set router 2 to connect to router 1 with ch5, then, set router 2 AP to ch 11. It is all working now, but I went to look at the settings later, router 2 has changed to both in and out wifi to ch 11! I checked with a cell phone spectrum analyser, everything is on ch 5! . I just checked again, router 2 had changed to everything on ch 1! do they jump around by themselves? more queries, but one at a time!
Regards,
George

Lantis

Re: wifi channel

Post by Lantis »

It is not possible to have the client and AP on different channels.
They must locate the same channel.

The UI does not let you set them differently. If you attempt to change one, the other follows.

No they should not be changing on their own, and I think you have a configuration error.
Start from scratch, and don’t attempt to place them on different channels (because you can’t). If you still encounter errors, let us know.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

gtyler

Post by gtyler »

you can have 2 different routers with ap's on the same channel next to each other? Why would you want that? I understand they are frequency hopping, so it is possible for them not to interfere, but would it not be better to have them as far in frequency apart as possible?

gtyler

Post by gtyler »

I had the AP of router 1 and the client of router 2 on the same channel, 5, and AP on router 2 I set to 11, but it looks like even though it indicated it is on 11, it is actually also on 5.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Ideally you would not have them on the same channel.
However, it is not possible to program the wifi chips in these devices to send receive on one channel, jump to the next channel, and send receive there before jumping back (which is effectively what you are asking it to do). I don’t think the 802.11 spec even states this is possible.

Now if you had a wired backlink rather than a wireless one, you could have them on different channels no problem.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Again, I don’t know how you are achieving the channels appearing different. It just should not be possible from the GUI.