Faster wifi with 1043nd V1

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ispyisail

Re: Faster wifi with 1043nd V1

Post by ispyisail »

Allow us to disable non-important things like bandwidth monitoring from GUI
It been requested a few times

This project is tightly controlled by Eric

If he says "no" that's the end of the story

But there is nothing stopping any individual from creating a custom fork.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Implementing/Maintaining this fix for a single device is cumbersome.
If it is truly an issue, it should be reported as a bug with OpenWrt and fixed upstream.

I don’t own the device, so I can’t test it. I don’t know if this is changed for OpenWrt 18.xx. I find very little information on the issue except for one DDWRT post from 5 years ago as linked.

This thread has an appropriate, searchable title, and has the relevant information. It is now findable by users. If more and more people try it and think it is good then maybe it should go in. But for now I can’t confirm that.
At the least, it is here.

If you don’t like something, offer to change it. That’s now open source software works. I’d be glad to have another person contributing to the code.
I’m also not the project lead. So my answer isn’t the final one.

I apologise if I’ve upset anyone or seem unhelpful or “out of character”. As stated, I only have so many hours in the day outside my paid work to do this stuff. And currently that is being spent working on the next branch, and getting wireless country settings working in a way that is approved by Eric.
I don’t owe any of you anything, so try not to demand things from me.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I don’t owe any of you anything, so try not to demand things from me.
I appreciate your work and i'm not happy with some comments. (bit grumpy in fact)

I understand how much work you put into this project

and appreciate it.

Thank you

kabi

Post by kabi »

Lantis wrote:Implementing/Maintaining this fix for a single device is cumbersome.
If it is truly an issue, it should be reported as a bug with OpenWrt and fixed upstream.
My hope was some 'brave' men here will take care to propagate issue to the right place ;) - which in effect seems to be LEDE project anyway - I just didn't want to decrypt 'final guy' on this path originally myself...
Lantis wrote: I don’t own the device, so I can’t test it. I don’t know if this is changed for OpenWrt 18.xx. I find very little information on the issue except for one DDWRT post from 5 years ago as linked.
Sure - just the good old 1043ndV1 used to be so popular and still does server a great job (IMHO). With proper settings - Samsung S7 gets ~60-70mbps - so at this point I'm still not seeing much pressure to buy something better ;) - maybe expect for getting those fancy statistics from Gps network LAN :)
Lantis wrote: This thread has an appropriate, searchable title, and has the relevant information. It is now findable by users. If more and more people try it and think it is good then maybe it should go in. But for now I can’t confirm that.
Yep good starting point, but users may not realize that 40mbps is not good enough, router can do way more ;). Anyway this page https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Atheros suggests there are 18 devices with the same chip - unsure if any other device got bigger popularity, Gargoyle build :D and 3 antennas out of these, but lets list them here for search engines:
  • Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
    Cisco WAP4410N
    D-Link DAP-1353 rev B1
    Netgear WN2000RPTv1
    Netgear WN802Tv2
    Netgear WNAP210
    Netgear WNR2000v1
    Nexxt Solutions Acrux 300 (ARN03304U1)
    Planex MZK-W04NU
    Rosewill RNX-N360RT
    SMC SMCWGBR14-N2
    TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND v1.x
    TP-LINK TL-WR941ND v1.0
    TP-LINK TL-WR941ND v2.x
    TP-LINK TL-WR941ND v3.x
    TRENDnet TEW-634GRU
    ZyXEL NBG460N

kabi

Post by kabi »

ispyisail wrote:
Allow us to disable non-important things like bandwidth monitoring from GUI
It been requested a few times
This project is tightly controlled by Eric
If he says "no" that's the end of the story
But there is nothing stopping any individual from creating a custom fork.
Doing a fork for 'switch off' button is not really productively spend time.

So Eric if you read this - please consider there are 'beginner users' and 'expert users' - I surely know myself how to disable things - but by provide user controllable GUI switch with optional text explaining that bwmon consumes serious amount of CPU and some underpowered 400MHz chip can't really handle accounting for 12 streams on >100mbps network - you save yourself a lot time - since you don't need to read over and over again that some router with installed Gargoyle is slow on stock firmware is better is has no issue ;) - it's just that simple.

(and BTW I'm still unsure why the accounting takes so much time, for the well constructed iptables it should manage this traffic - maybe newer kernel with optimized new IP can do better here...)

goyle100

Post by goyle100 »

first time post... long time user. First thanks to everyone for great router firmware.

some comments from a non-technical user. Flashing fw is about the limit of my abilities.
1. I use a 1043nd for years. It was purchased specifically in order to run gargoyle. The decision to purchase the 1043nd was made on the fact that this is the model that this gargoyle website advertised for years to buy. I believed the 1043nd would be the best supported hw as it was the model being sold by gargoyle.
2. I have recommended the 1043nd to 4 other neighbour households to use with Gargoyle (which families I help to support in managing kids internet usage).
3. My 1043nd continues to run pretty well. However I have just recently upgraded from my 30mbps cable service to 100mbps cable service and want to utilize the new speed as best as possible...That is why I am here reading this forum!

In reading the posts above...I fully understand I am owed nothing (in fact I owe you guys!). However, I suspect that the 1043nd is not "just another model" that runs gargoyle. I suspect there is a significant gargoyle user base of 1043nd users that would benefit from the increased speed of what appears to be a somewhat simple change (for those with the necessary technical knowledge). If this change could be incorporated in the next release it would be greatly appreciated by what I suspect is a lot of users.

It would be interesting to know the download distribution of the different firmware images. Does this info exist or can it be queried? I suspect that the 1043nd might be one of the most popular pieces of hw running gargoyle... but it is just a suspicion.. I could be way off base.

Whatever you guys decide, I appreciate everyone's effort. I just wanted to voice my concerns and if I eventually need to replace my 1043nd to continue to utilize gargoyle, I will do it if necessary. Thanks!

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

@goyle100

It would be useful if you can confirm that the proposed setting work.

We can talk you through it

goyle100

Post by goyle100 »

I can and will test it. How do I turn on the setting? 1043nd Router is running latest release 1.10
thanks

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

* download "winscp"
* Make a connection with you router (via winscp)
* Edit a file
* Then reboot your router

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Code: Select all

/etc/config/wireless

option txantenna '5'
option rxantenna '7'

config wifi-device 'radio0'