XBOX port forwards not detected

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Patacakes

XBOX port forwards not detected

Post by Patacakes »

Hello,

I've been trying to get my Xbox one to stay on port 3074. but can't seem to achieve this through gargoyle.

I have gotten the list of ports to be open from the Xbox website. I have a basic setup Modem > router( with gargoyle installed) wireless WPA2PSK.

I've added the ports to port forward and tried in port range forward with each port as a single range entry.

I've tried with Upnp on and off, DMZ on and off, static IP addressing. I've reset my router 4 times today now and any combination of settings i seem to try it will not connect correctly.

sometimes i get an Open NAT but on ports i've never set, like 54024 and others. but playing online with this setup sometimes causes network errors and chat dropouts.

I can get a solid port connection on 3074 ( Xbox default Port) when i connect my modem directly to the xbox, and it works without issue. but this is not ideal, as i have many other wifi enabled devices that I would like to use on wifi, the modem is only a cable modem for internet, so I'm using my Wifi Router to share the connection to those other devices.

Any help n configuring this would be welcome as its getting on my nerves now that i'm not getting the best out of my network when gaming.

Lantis

Re: XBOX port forwards not detected

Post by Lantis »

Is your modem doing NAT translation?
i.e. your modem hands out addresses like 192.168.x.x or similar, and your Gargoyle is configured as DHCP?
If so, your port forwarding needs to be done at the modem (potentially also at Gargoyle).
OR
Set Gargoyle to be a DMZ from your modem. (Simpler)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Patacakes

Post by Patacakes »

Hiya, Thanks for the reply.

my modem only gives the ip address that my ISP gives me. there is no DHCP configuration on the modem, there is not even a login at the gateway address, this is locked down at the ISP level.

for some reason though, when i disable DHCP on Gargoyle, the devices in the house retain their gargoyle given IP addresses, but the Xbox works correctly, with the right port.

I wonder though if disabling the DHCP long term could result in other issues in the future.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

for some reason though, when i disable DHCP on Gargoyle, the devices in the house retain their gargoyle given IP addresses,
expected

I'm assuming double NAT? or bridging?

Screen shot of you WAN please

Patacakes

Post by Patacakes »

Hiya,

I don't feel comfortable posting pictures of my home IP address.
if I need to I'll send privately. but using your example could you explain what you are looking for. I will try to direct any info without publicising my personal information.

When plugging the Xbox directly into the One port modem i have for Cable Broadband, the ports are open and work correctly instantly without need. it's given a random IP address, Subnet, Gateway. (it changes after a time - i do not have a static connection to my ISP even the Gateway changes)

When I connect the xbox to the router via wifi, the port/s are closed. I have forwarded the needed list of ports in the To/From boxes and directed it to the Xbox IP address, which i've made static. I have also put the IP address of the Xbox into DMZ but this still does not allow open access to the internet.

If the modem on its own without router connected, allows for open access, forwarding the ports should work. I'm not getting blocked traffic at the Cable modem, proved by just connecting the xbox to it. I'm trying now to get that same connection with thorugh the router, to allow some kind of passthrough for the xbox. DMZ is supposed to do this, so i'm not sure why this is happening.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

are you plugged into the correct ports e.g.

Code: Select all

internet >> WAN to LAN >> WAN to LAN >> Xbox

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

kinda blind without screen shots

you can obscure some numbers

Patacakes

Post by Patacakes »

here is my wan with ome numbers omitted. I don't see how its much different from any other. but there you are.

My setup to the internet goes like this.

Modem > Router > devices.

I have no Double nat. the modem allows unrestricted access to the internet. my ISP does not block any ports. the modem gives my devices an IP, this is not static so it would change at different days.

The Xbox when Wired to the Modem, works no problems 100%

I then connect the Gargoyle router to the modem. From default settings, i change the password, set a time and time zone, I set a Static IP for my Xbox, using its Mac address. i go to fire wall and use the Xbox IP to forward the ports as stated on the Xbox website.

i blank all networks on the Xbox. and re boot console from cold boot, unplugging for 30 secs and re booting.

while i wait i setup a basic wifi, WPA2PSK, once thats up and running i boot xbox, log into the new wifi. watch the port go from 3074 ( the auto default) to some random 50K port some times 54074 others 52065 and a few others, in game it lags and has match making issues.

i delete the wifi from the Xbox once more.

I add the Xbox IP to DMZ, re boot my xbox after once again wating for it unplugged for 30 seconds. and re log in.

sign back into the Wifi and the same issues shows up.

turning off DHCP on the router has given me open NAT but with a 50K port, which is giving me errors in match making and chat. I can't find any combination of settings or ways to make port 3074 access through gargoyle.

Patacakes

Post by Patacakes »

i get an error on this website.

The board attachment level has been reached, and wont allow me to port a picture.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lwlgq ... 97Hnp1B13c

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Disabling DHCP and it working doesn’t make much sense.
Can you please confirm which settings you are using on Connectiom -> Basic, and how you have the modem and gargoyle connected to each other (wan to lan, lan to lan etc)

Also are we dealing with some kind of satellite service?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.