WDR3600 drops internet after a few minutes

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

josephgrab

WDR3600 drops internet after a few minutes

Post by josephgrab »

I have read a few other people had this problem, but most were from 2013. The 2015 thread solved it with a new router. I have this WDR3600 that works fine with TP-Link unlocked software. However, I want the extra functionality of gargoyle, which I used a year ago 1.9.1. I have tried 1.10.0, and then 1.9.2, and even 1.9.1, but I lose internet over wifi after a few minutes. I use openDNS and install the Dynamic DNS. I tried the openDNS one and dnsomatic, both give same problem. All I change is I add the adblock plugin, wifi schedule plugin, change DNS, and the Dynamic DNS. I had some restrictions, but removed them. If I reboot the router sometimes it works a few minutes. I still have problem even when I disable the adblock and wifi schedule. It's frustrating as it works well when I revert back to TP-Link firmware. I have about fourteen devices - three laptops, one desktop, and six Republic wireless phones which use wifi, a synology with static IP, and three rokus. However, usually less than half are in use at a time. Any ideas? I am seriously wondering if it is the Dynamic DNS under the connections, but that really is needed to use openDNS.

ispyisail

Re: WDR3600 drops internet after a few minutes

Post by ispyisail »

I have that model router working in a production network and it works perfect.

Rocksolid

The firmware is very stable

Did you preserve setting on the firmware on upgrade or use a backup file.

You need to configure from scratch the configuration.

If not bad things can happens just as you mention.

tapper

Post by tapper »

I have 2 of the wdr3600 routers and both are rock solid. I would say pleas try and resett and config from scratch. If that does not work then I would start looking for hardware problems. First swop out the Ethernet cables and then look to try a new power supply.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

josephgrab

Post by josephgrab »

I cannot imagine this being a hardware problem as the router is working right now with TP-Link firmware. No issues, just do not have the functionality of gargoyle that I desire. If it was the power supply I think I would have some problem with TP-Link firmware. I did preserve settings through an update, but I also did a fresh install of 1.10.0 and set up manually all my stuff (not much - just the openDNS and the Dynamic DNS). It drops internet every time. I cannot figure out why. I have tried this at least three times. I will say it drops internet on the wireless, but I only use it wireless, so LAN cable connectivity is untested. I do have to hook up a LAN cable to turn on the wifi after switching to gargoyle as the default is wifi disabled or off. That is not the case when I switch back to TP-Link.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

so LAN cable connectivity is untested
This is an important test.

With wifi the environment makes a difference. Other wifi access points on the same channel, microwaves etc,

We know the firmware is stable.

- Do a channel scan
- Move the router to a different location
- Try connecting with different clients

etc
etc

josephgrab

Post by josephgrab »

I just did a fresh install again. So far, it is working. I think the problem is the adblock. This blocks K9 web protection, which disables the internet for that computer, but all the computers have it. Now, I just have to wait for K9 web support to email me back with what needs added to the adblock whitelist. I have never done that before, but I do not think it will be difficult.

Thank you all for your help.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Sometimes its a process of elimination for your environment.

:)

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Please post back the answer and whether it works for you. I’ll look at adding it to the default whitelist
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.