Cannot connect to my old router/repeater

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

seaice

Cannot connect to my old router/repeater

Post by seaice »

Hi, I have an old TPLink N600 which I installed Gargoyle in the past. The 2.4GHz signal keep dropping and the router is a bit old, so I decided to bought a newer router and installed today, all working and then I tried to set up the N600 as a repeater. I think I made a mistake - the old gateway is 192.168.1.1. I did not notice the new router's default gateway is 192.168.0.1... I somehow set up the N600 as repeater with 192.168.1.2 (instead of 192.168.0.2 I guess). Now when it boots up, it does broadcast a new ssid and I can connect to it but with no internet. So I want to login to N600 Gargoyle admin site and correct the IP - but I cannot seems to be able no matter I try to connect to the repeater wired or wireless. I tried 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.1 (its old IP), just not working. When I connect it wired, and ping 192.168.1.2, it does have data back, so I think that is the correct IP address. Can someone help here? how I can login to that repeater now to make it work?

Lantis

Re: Cannot connect to my old router/repeater

Post by Lantis »

If you’re not 100% sure what you’ve done or what IP address it is at, it may be simpler to do a failsafe reset and start fresh.

Also, please include version numbers so we can give you specific advice, as configurations have changed significantly between certain iterations.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

seaice

Post by seaice »

thank you! I tried to do a 30/30/30 reset and then failsafer, I was able to use putty to login via 192.168.1.1 now. (wired) but i still cannot open the GUI via 192.168.1.1. my ipconfig shows the ethernet connection with IPv4 192.168.1.2; default gateway 192.168.1.1. which I guess I would need to change to 192.168.0.2/192.168.0.1(gateway for my new router)? can someone help guiding me how to do that in command line? since I cannot load the GUI, I dont know which version of Gargoyle I installed. I went to /etc/config, did not see something like "network".

seaice

Post by seaice »

here is the result from
cat /etc/openwrt_version
12.09-beta2

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

If you execute a full failsafe then it should be back to normal and you can login and try again. That is the step we are at.

Forget the 30/30/30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NqHpRHl8gQ

By the way, if that version number is correct, that indicates you’re on a version on or before 1.6.2. If you have a capable router, updating is strongly recommended.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.