5GHz WiFi & Dell Lattitude

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

IanBlakeley

5GHz WiFi & Dell Lattitude

Post by IanBlakeley »

First off this is an observation not a bug in Gargoyle as far as I can see, thought worth mentioning in case anyone sees the same issue.

Since switching my WDR3600v1 to Gargoyle my work provided Dell Latitude will only connect to the 2Ghz WiFi, still connects fine to 5Ghz on a D-Link AP I also have. Originally it would not see the 5GHz WiFi at all but I changed from 2nd Channel above to below and now it is seen okay. I've updated the Dell driver to the latest in case that is an issue. All other devices, Roku, Samsung phones, tablets et al connect with no issue. On the manufacturer supplied OS the channel width was IIRC set to Auto, checking the original config.bin the appropriate line reads "5g_wlan_chanWidth 2"

--
Ian

ispyisail

Re: 5GHz WiFi & Dell Lattitude

Post by ispyisail »

Gargoyle firmware version?

Are you saying all other devices except this on PC connect via 5Ghz?

IanBlakeley

Post by IanBlakeley »

Gargoyle 1.10

Everything else I have is connecting okay, I really think it is a Dell issue. I only raised it in case anyone else sees the same thing and either has or is searching for a solution. It's not a Windows issue per se, I have an fairly old HP laptop with Win10 which connects fine.

IanBlakeley

Post by IanBlakeley »

A follow up as I've done a bit more digging, don't have a full solution per se more of a partial / workaround.

The Dell laptop connects everywhere I've been and to my second AP which is a ISP D-Link device (DIR-850L) which is only used to extend the WiFI in the bedrooms. The issue appears to be 40Mhz channels for some reason, the DIR-850L is set to auto and this works with the Dell which from the speed seems to get a 40Mhz channel.

If I set either my 5Ghz or my 2.4Ghz to 40Mhz on the Gargoyle router the Dell will not connect even though it can see the WiFi. As before definitely seems to be a Dell issue everything else I have works and none of my visitors seem to have issues. I am leaving the 2.4Ghz at 20Mhz the band is so crowded anyway.