Can someone please explain "connected wireless hosts" / "hosts with active connection" ?

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Metatronic Mods

Can someone please explain "connected wireless hosts" / "hosts with active connection" ?

Post by Metatronic Mods »

Apologies for the noobish questions, or if I have them in the wrong subforum. I just switched to Gargoyle because I read it was patched against KRACK for my router (wrt1200ac).

Now I'm looking at the connected hosts tab on the router configuration page, and I see some unknown "hosts with active connections." The go on and off the list, have an unknown MAC address, and have the IP addresses 75.130.200.1, and 97.82.192.1, whereas all my networked devices are in the default 192. range. The 75.130.200.1 is also listed under "active routes" under the routing tab.

Iirc, I saw at least one of those addresses under the "connected wireless hosts" earlier as well -I've since changed SSID/key and some admin settings.

First of, can someone just clarify what is meant by "hosts with active connections"? Since 90% of them were recognized as my devices, I'm assuming it means devices on my local network.

And does anyone know what these IP addresses might represent, or how I could go about identifying them?
Thanks

ispyisail

Re: Can someone please explain "connected wireless hosts" / "hosts with active connection" ?

Post by ispyisail »

Variations of this question come up every so often.

Nobody seams to know the answer.

throughwalls

Re: Can someone please explain "connected wireless hosts" / "hosts with active connection" ?

Post by throughwalls »

Nice question. I would also like to know

porkypete

Post by porkypete »

Connected Wireless Hosts are those devices with an active connection to THIS device.

Hosts With Active Connections are all devices on the subnet with active connections to THIS device. This includes those connected to the copper ports and those connected to any other APs' on the network.

The other relevant table is those with Current DHCP leases - this includes all those devices that are now disconnected but still have time left in their lease period (default 12 hours).

The linked screenshot shows my gateway which is also a wireless AP and DHCP server with copper ethernet ports wired to 3 remote APs' and some PCs', phones, mediaboxes, etc around the house. It shows just 2 active wireless hosts which also appear in the long list of hosts with active connections.

Hope that helps....

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AuQmTPgTbzgokrgHTs82kne4N6MScQ

throughwalls

Post by throughwalls »

Sometimes there are hosts listed as having active connections, but their IP address is outside the router subnet. Any idea why that is?