75 Mbps

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ispyisail

Re: 75 Mbps

Post by ispyisail »

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

Nice. Thanks.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

twf85

Post by twf85 »

Is this limitation present on all Gargoyle compatible routers?

I just realized that I am only getting about 40Mbit on a 150Mbit connection.

Upgraded my SB6141 after the Cox support person told me earlier today that it was only rated for "up to 100mbit", even though the marketing says "up to 300Mbit down". Now I have a SB6183 (rated "up to 300Mbit", ~680Mbit max).

Tested with WNDR4300v1 and TL-WR1043NDv1, same result.

Definitely don't want to lose the Quotas, otherwise there's no point for me to have Gargoyle installed. QoS, up or down, is not currently enabled.

EDIT:

I shouldn't say
no point. I'm liking Gargoyle more and more. Pretty excited to put together a couple of themes. Never had enough of a reason to install OpenWRT or DD-WRT, nor did I ever feel like the hardware I had was supported by either of them. But I was always intrigued by the concept, and love the idea that using custom firmware will extend the life and utility of existing hardware much further than if left to the mercy of their manufacturers.

I have a Ubiquiti AC PRO coming next week, which will replace a ArcherC7v1.1 as my primary WAP. I was planning on flashing Gargoyle on to the C7, because I believe the processor is an upgrade over either of the other two I have.

Doesn't sound like that is going to net much of an improvement, given the OP had a newer/better version of the same model.

Can anyone recommend a replacement that can handle both the BWMonitor and 150+Mbit?

Is the drop in performance relative to the width of the pipe, or is it a static limit? I suppose we could drop our connection down a bit if it were a static limitation.. Maybe recoup some of the money I've been spending ;) Would rather get the 150Mbit connection and Quotas, if possible.
Last edited by twf85 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

your only real option is linksys routers

https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/do ... ed_routers

More CPU power

twf85

Post by twf85 »

I'm looking at those now.. Would a WRT1200 be powerful enough? Don't know which version it is, but there's a pretty affordable unit on eBay (~$85).

If I had known about this sooner, I could've snagged a WRT3200 for $100 on Craigslist! There's a WRT1900 that may still be available for $100. Not the greatest place to try and buy sensitive networking equipment, but I may get lucky.

I have no idea what sort of processing speed is required for the BWMon to function without severely hindering the connection. Now that I think about it, is there going to be some sort of penalty, regardless of which router I choose?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Yes there will always be a penalty.
hardware acceleration does not work on any third party firmware.

i wouldn't get a 3200 if you value wifi performance just yet.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

twf85

Post by twf85 »

Where the router is located isn't optimal for WiFi. There are rooms behind brick walls that don't receive the 5Ghz signal at all, so my plan is to stick the new Ubiquiti AC PRO I have coming on Monday up in the attic. I believe it will be able to get around/over the walls if I stick up high enough (in the right spot). It is rated for 148ºF, IIRC, so it should be able to handle the summers here.

So the WiFi would be disabled on whatever I end up going with to mitigate the performance hit of the BWMon.

What kind of penalty might you expect with the WRT3200, on a 150Mbit connection? Now that I'm looking at it, it isn't too much more to get a re-certified unit from Linksys' eBay store. Only $119.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

none. pretty sure that device will push in excess of 500mbps through NAT
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

tapper

Post by tapper »

Hi sorry to say that the c7 1.1 will not have any working wifi if you flash it with Gargoyle. As for the 3200 it is one if not the fastest routers you can by, to get faster you would have to run a x86 router EG a purpose built box which can cost a lot and is a pane in the arse to run Gargoyle on anyway.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

twf85

Post by twf85 »

I know, I know. I guess I must've bought both of my TP-Link routers when they were first coming out :\ The 5Ghz on the C7v1.1 was constantly dropping clients anyway, so I won't miss it. Just need it to do a little bit better than the Netgear 4300 until I can source a worthy replacement.

I feel like I've talked myself into the Linksys 3200ACM: http://r.ebay.com/G4QucI

Anything obviously wrong with picking up one of those that any of you can see?

Does anyone think I should try and save some money and get a 1900ACS instead? The specs on the OpenWRT wiki peg them as pretty darn close to one another..

EDIT:

If the WRT3200ACM can handle "500Mbit through NAT", then I feel like that might mean I have the headroom to safely install a VPN tunnel for a subscription to PrivateInternetAccess.

Quotas, VPN, and 150Mbit connection (albeit with some loss for the VPN overhead and however much that complicates the possible penalty for the BWMon). That's how I am justifying purchasing the 3200 over the 1900.

If that expectation is off base, please stop me from spending more money than necessary ;) I can run the VPN tunnel on each machine like I am now, I just thought it would be neat if the whole connection was protected. It would be nice to keep our ISP from having any info they can sell, and only have to pay for one subscription to PIA.