Ip Address Conflict - 0.0.0.0

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

gregmay

Ip Address Conflict - 0.0.0.0

Post by gregmay »

I have been trying to use static IP addresses on my win10 machines so I can assign QOS settings to my PC's. Best I can tell, QOS Assignments only work with Static IPs.

Every few hours (not sure exactly how long). The network adapter on my windows 10 machine stops working. I get this error in the Windows System Event Viewer:

The system detected an address conflict for IP address 0.0.0.0 with the system having network hardware address 04-A1-51-xx-xx-xx. Network operations on this system may be disrupted as a result.

When this happens my win10 machine has no network connectivity. I have to disable the Network adapter on my win10 machine, then enable it and I am back in business (Network on the Win 10 machine starts working again).

Turns out, the conflicting MAC address from the Event Log matches the Wireless MAC Address on the Gargoyle Status page. I think this is pretty weird, but OK.

On the router, I am seeing these messages (LogShow) about the time it breaks my win 10 machine:

Wed Nov 1 19:51:25 2017 daemon.warn dnsmasq-dhcp[1849]: not giving name localhost.lan to the DHCP lease of 192.168.1.214 because the name exists in /etc/hosts with address 127.0.0.1
Wed Nov 1 19:51:25 2017 daemon.warn dnsmasq-dhcp[1849]: not giving name localhost to the DHCP lease of 192.168.1.214 because the name exists in /etc/hosts with address 127.0.0.1
Wed Nov 1 19:52:46 2017 kerninfo kernel: [1139192.680000] Atheros AR8216/AR8236/AR8316 ag71xx-mdio.0:00: Port 1 is down
Wed Nov 1 19:52:50 2017 kerninfo kernel: [1139196.680000] Atheros AR8216/AR8236/AR8316 ag71xx-mdio.0:00: Port 1 is up

For now I have moved back to DHCP assignments ... I dont think I was getting this problem with DHCP, but will report back in a day or so to confirm.

Oh, I am using a WNDR4300 with Version 1.9.2. I updated my Win10 network driver to the latest RealTek PCIe GBE Family Controller (10.23.1003.2017)

1) Is there any way to configure QOS without Static IPs?
2) Is there anyway to stop this horrible breakage of the Win10 network driver?

Thanks!
Greg.

ispyisail

Re: Ip Address Conflict - 0.0.0.0

Post by ispyisail »

My guess is you have an external problem

e.g. Static IP double up or two DHCP servers or something like that.

gregmay

Post by gregmay »

Thanks @ispyisail for the suggestion.

I upgraded to 1.10, still the same behavior. 1.10 is awesome by the way. Looks nice! DHCP assignments seem to work alot better than 1.9.2

The current suspect is Disney Circle, they use ARP poisoning to manage time limits on my kids devices. I currently have Circle turned off for a few days to see if that is the issue.

Assuming that circle is somehow sending out a 0.0.0.0 IP with my routers MAC address, is there a way I could have Gargoyle filter this weird message so its not broadcast across my network?

Anyone else using Disney Circle with Gargoyle?

Thanks!

josephgrab

Post by josephgrab »

I was completely unable to get Circle to allow internet access. It worked fine with the same router (TP-Link TL-WDR3600) with factory firmware (not US locked), but would not work at all with Gargoyle 1.8, 1.9, or 1.10. I last tried in February 2018. If someone else gets Disney Circle to work, please let us know how you did it.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

WAN MAC address problem

Use custom MAC address

From memory these routers have a couple of MAC address and they have been switched.

This is my guess anyway

josephgrab

Circle with Gargoyle

Post by josephgrab »

I finally got it to work as I wanted Circle's instant control and adblock (which I could not get on TP-Link). I got it to work with both WDR-3600 and now an Archer C7 (same almost - C7 has 1 more external antenna and more internal memory).

First, I set up the TP-Link factory firmware with my SSID as Gargoyle and Gargoyle 5GHz. I set my custom wifi password. I set the router Host name to Gargoyle (for the LAN). Then I totally configured Circle and backed it up. I had it connected wirelessly to the TP-Link.

Then, I turned off Disney Circle. Then, I flashed router to Gargoyle, set the SSIDs the same and the wifi password the same. Then I turned back on Circle. It will not connect wirelessly, but I attached it with an ethernet cable (and USB power cord) to my Gargoyle router, and it works flawlessly.

If you reset Circle and either restore a backup or set it up as new with a Gargoyle router it will not work (I tried both ways multiple times).

josephgrab

Still cannot get Disney Circle to control Gargoyle

Post by josephgrab »

I have done it before, but it only lasts a few months. When you add a few more devices or a few more profiles it blocks all wifi internet access to controlled devices. I have had it working on a WDR-3600 and the Archer C7, but, for now, I am using the C7 on TP-Link firmware as I really want Circle (more important to me than the adblock built in Gargoyle plugin). I am using openDNS for a lot of adblocking. I do not know how I got it to work before, it was working for about three months with the C7, and I had it working about six months with the WDR-3600. I cannot get it to work again now.