send WOL packet to a slave router LAN?

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ajliberty

send WOL packet to a slave router LAN?

Post by ajliberty »

INTERNET -> Gargoyle Router (192.168.115.1) -> DD-WRT Router (192.168.10.1) -> Linux machine (192.168.10.106)

- I have a 2 Router setup.

- My Gargoyle LAN (192.168.115.1) is private, for me and my file server and other devices. It also acts as a VPN server that I access from the internet.

- I’ve set up a slave router DD-WRT (192.168.10.1) with a separate LAN for housemates and Airbnb guests, etc.

From the within the Gargoyle network (192.168.115.X), or from my VPN Client, I’d like to send the Linux machine (192.168.10.106) a WOL packet - - is this possible? I don’t understand how port forwarding works, exactly - but could anyone comment on how I might accomplish this?

(of course I could simply move the Linux machine to the Gargoyle network… but I can’t… It’s for community use - printing… etc.. I use it to record a TV signal and file compression activity and would rather leave it where it is)

Anyway, thanks for everything - Gargoyle is awesome, and I’ve learned a lot (slowly) from all of you.

:)

Rog66

Re: send WOL packet to a slave router LAN?

Post by Rog66 »

Presumably the DD-WRT router's WAN port is connected to the Gargoyle router? If so it must have an address in the 192.168.115.x range. Why not enable the HTTP GUI on the DD-WRT router for WAN as well as LAN access (it is protected from the internet by your gargoyle firewall afterall and your gargoyle LAN is your private one) and then access the DD-WRT routers GUI at its WAN address in the 192.168.115.x range.

Once you've logged in to the DD-WRT router from your Gargoyle LAN or VPN you can then use the DD-WRT WOL page to wake up the Linux machine. That way you don't need to open any ports or use any separate WOL software.

ajliberty

Post by ajliberty »

Thank you for your reply...
I did try what you suggest... but for some reason, it doesn't work - - - the odd thing about it is this:

Slave router dd-wrt pulls/shows a .115.x IP.... BUT i can only access that router when connected to the slave netork - not from Gargoyle. I do have internet access from this slave network, tho... so weird.

In addition to that... this Host does NOT show up as a "Hosts With Active Connections"...

It DOES show up on the "Current DHCP Leases"

Feel free to ask me to kick this off of the site, as I'm getting the feeling this is a DD-WRT issue... unless anyone else has some input.

On an unrelated note, I was also trying this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4fJJzh-8jc ... but again (sadly) no success...

:I

Rog66

Post by Rog66 »

I don't have any of my routers configured with DD-WRT at the moment but from memory you need to go to Administration - Management and make sure Web GUI access is enabled in the remote access section. By default I think it uses port 8080 so you would need to either specify that when accessing the slave router e.g http://192.168.115.x:8080 or change the default remote access port to 80 on this page.

ajliberty

Post by ajliberty »

OMG...

you are correct:
DD-WRT -> Administration -> Management -> Remote Access...

I really can't thank you enough... (and I can't believe what a simple solution this is, after I was jumping through soooo many hoops - - - and trying all kinds of crazy things.... this just works - - thank you for sharing this with me!!!)

So, if this helps anyone else... I'm able to remotely boot up and control my Linux box from anywhere... (a huge help, in my particular situation)

Linux Box -> DD-WRT -> Gargoyle w/VPN Server -> INTERNET <- Gargoyle Client Router <- whatever device I want....

Simple and Awesome - - thank you for your help Rog66!!

Rog66

Post by Rog66 »

glad it worked