DHCP keeps turing itself on?

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

yodabug

DHCP keeps turing itself on?

Post by yodabug »

Heya,

I have purposely turned off DHCP at least 4 times now--it keeps turning itself on. and delivers the same 192.168.X.226 IP everytime to my laptop and the range is from 192.168.X.100 to, and I quote here, "NaN"

that's all it says.

Running latest Gargoyle on TPLink Archer C7

I know this can't be normal behavior? I hope someone knows how to make it stop?

Thanks.

ispyisail

Re: DHCP keeps turing itself on?

Post by ispyisail »

Version?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

If you disable it and then make a change in another part (e.g. Connection Basic) it may turn itself back on.
Are you making other changes?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

yodabug

Post by yodabug »

Gargoyle Version:1.9.2

I have been messing around a lot with it and two other AP's. Although I swear I left the dhcp server off and made no other changes that last time-except to add a bunch of mac address filters.

I have confirmed that it is turned off ( I just did it again-for the fourth time this evening) and everything is no all set up and I won't be touching anything. I have it in AP Mode so all non-essential services are off--I know it's kinda sad for such a capable firmware-I was surprised at how versatile it is when I first logged into it-but I actually have a four port gateway/firewall running on an old Dell XPS Q8200 which is blazing fast and never goes over 30% memory usage and I don't wanna give it up quite yet.

I'll monitor it again and make no changes for a few days and see if it happens again.

Thanks All.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

No worries. Let us know the outcome.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

chuckcol

Post by chuckcol »

I see this is a 6 month old post, but I too have been haunted by it for several months and finally found a solution that I thought I would share in case it helps someone else.

My configuration (similar to others): Two routers:
  • Router #1 (Gateway) is Gargoyle providing internet gateway, firewall, DNS and DHCP with no WiFi enabled. It is at 192.168.2.1.
  • Router #2 (Dumb-AP) is another Gargoyle router configured to be a dumb WiFi Access Point/4-port switch with a static IP address (192.168.2.50) and no connection to WAN port. Dumb-AP is connected via LAN port to the Gateway's LAN side. It's DHCP Server is absolutely NOT enabled.
Like others, at seemingly random intervals Dumb-AP would spontaneously re-enable its DHCP server. I would usually notice it when some other client device renewed a lease and collided with another or in the case of a VM I saw it loaded Dumb-AP's192.168.2.50 address as it's gateway, which of course put it out of commission. This confirmed it was Dumb-AP who was to blame, and sure enough, when I checked via the web GUI to Dumb-AP, it's DHCP Server had turned itself to Enabled!

I tried resetting Dumb-AP many times, but it's DHCP would always come back on a while later. I updated it from 1.9.2 to 1.10.0 firmware - This did not help. I switched it from a 4 MB flash unit (TP-Link TL-WR841) to an 8 MB flash unit (TP-Link TL-WDR3600), but got the exact same DHCP re-enabling behaviour.

SOLUTION: Based on the suggestion at https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=50069, I logged in via command line shell and issued these commands:

Code: Select all

uci set dhcp.lan.ignore=1
uci commit dhcp
/etc/init.d/dnsmasq disable
I think that last line is the one that did the trick. At least it seems to have kept the DHCP server from turming on for more than 72 hours here so far. I hope this saves someone else some time!

pkkrusty

Post by pkkrusty »

I'm having the same issue with a similar setup. I have a master router on 1.10 as the DHCP server (TP-Link WDR3600), and a TP-Link WDR4300 with 1.12 on it acting as a remote bridge/access point (linked via ethernet cable) with DHCP turned off. Every week or so it turns the DHCP back on by itself which then messes up routing and quota assignments for everyone.

I have it on a restart schedule every 24 hours.

For now I have disabled the scheduled reboot and SSH'd the commands suggested by the previous post. Hopefully this solves the issue, but if it happens again, I'll try to keep narrowing it down to help with some debugging.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It happens when you save changes on the connection page.
It has been fixed in a recent version.