No Internet on Range Extender or connnected clients

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

mrroute

No Internet on Range Extender or connnected clients

Post by mrroute »

My range extender connected to Gargoyle is not getting internet. Same with the extender connected clients. Is there something that needs to be configured in the Gargoyle interface that I may be missing?

Volaris

Re: No Internet on Range Extender or connnected clients

Post by Volaris »

mrroute wrote:My range extender connected to Gargoyle is not getting internet. Same with the extender connected clients. Is there something that needs to be configured in the Gargoyle interface that I may be missing?
The repeater is probably setup incorrectly and assigning its own IP addresses to devices. In that case, Gargoyle doesn't see the devices. See my post in the QoS/extender thread.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

mrroute

Post by mrroute »

The extender is a Linksys RE4100W. It does not have a DHCP server...it just extends the connected WiFi. This device worked properly with the TP-LINK firmware. I tried hard resetting and reconfiguring but it doesn't want to pass internet. The extender has a PING diagnostics option but pinging anything fails with 100% packet loss.

Also, how does this work with clients that have their IP address statically assigned? When they connect thru the extender, they show a MAC of the extender...not their statically assigned MAC.

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

Could you please post the output of the following command on the extender ?

Code: Select all

cat /etc/config/network
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

mrroute

Post by mrroute »

Don't know how to run commands like that. The problem is with statically assigning addresses. I turned this feature off and I created a white list of allowed MACs. The extender started working again. As soon as I turn on Enforce DHCP Assignments, I lose internet to the device. The problem with using the white list is other devices that connect to the extender can now connect and get an IP even if they are not in the white list. I only want certain MACs in but the users here spread the password around. How can I only allow certain MACs to connect?

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

screen shots please

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

Oh... now that I remember, I think I also initially had a problem with "Enforce DHCP Assignments" on Gargoyle and had to turn it off for the repeater to work. Has worked great since then. Sorry had been a really long time.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

mrroute

Post by mrroute »

No problem. Thanks for the help!

mrroute

Post by mrroute »

This issue is happening again. However, this time it's not the Enforce DHCP Assignment setting. That setting is unchecked.

The extender connects and clients get internet through the extender after a reboot of the router but after a while...last time was about 4 hours, the extender loses its connection to the router. Rebooting the router resolves the problem temporarily but eventually, the same thing happens. Is there a setting in Gargoyle that I need to adjust that may be causing this loss?

Is there a way to move this post to Board index ‹Troubleshooting / Report Bugs ‹Network / Wireless Issues?

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

fail safe reset / reflash

When strange things happen first try a reset........