Losing GUI access when wireless bridge/repeater mode selected.

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

jocogi

Losing GUI access when wireless bridge/repeater mode selected.

Post by jocogi »

Hi guys. I've been using Gargoyle for a few years now, mostly for its outstanding QoS. I've recently started trying to repurpose my WNDR3800 as a wireless bridge/repeater and I've run into problems.

Whenever I activate this mode, I lose access to the GUI on 192.168.1.1

I think it's very similar to what some guys are experiencing in a couple of other threads. I don't seem to be allowed to link to them though?

In order to regain access I've had to TFTP new firmware. Using the reset button does NOT seem to work unfortunately.

I'm quite new to all this sorry. Am I missing something?

Thanks also everyone for your fantastic work on Gargoyle!

Lantis

Re: Losing GUI access when wireless bridge/repeater mode selected.

Post by Lantis »

Depending on what version of the firmware you are running changes the answer to this question.

Start with sharing your configuration settings, and version number, and we will proceed from there.

The likely outcomes:
1. Incorrect config
2. Correct config, now device is on wrong subnet
3. Not using the relay IP to connect after establishing bridge.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

jocogi

Post by jocogi »

Thank you for the very quick reply Lantis.
I am using 1.8.1.

I am absolutely certain I have the wrong config. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Unfortunately, I've struggled to find a guide on how to configure it correctly.

Also, unfortunately, my usual fall back of just tinkering with different settings, loses me access.

Am I correct in thinking that the WNDR3800 reset switch does not behave like the 'reset to default' option on the Gargoyle GUI or something similar? If(when) I make another mistake with my config, is there a quicker way to recover defaults than TFTP every time?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Follow the hints in the GUI for setting up the wireless bridge.
Make sure that where it says that a setting needs to be inside a subnet, that you follow that.

If you ruin the config and lock yourself out, rather than reflashing you should be using failsafe reset.
Much easier.
See here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8505
and the video at the bottom (filmed on a wndr3800 as well ;))
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NqHpRHl8gQ
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

I have noticed a few problems in the GUI for this myself with v1.9.2 and possibly previous versions.

1) The config screen says the bridge IP should NOT be in the gateway's subnet. This is exactly not correct. The bridge and the gateway must be in the same subnet. This should be corrected.

2) When I set the bridge IP in the GUI it got ignored and another seeming random IP was selected as the IP of the bridge. Not sure what is up with that.

After bridge configuration it's web configuration page should appear at the selected IP of the bridge. This will be different than the gateway which is usually at 192.168.1.1. But one has to figure out the random IP that got assigned and access it there until this issue is corrected.

My experience anyway.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Actually, in 1.9.2 the bridge setup has changed and it MUST be outside the AP subnet.
The latest 1.9.x versions have the "random ip" displayed on the main status page under the heading "Relay IP".
You can access it at the Bridge IP or (preferably) the Relay IP (which will be in the subnet of the AP).

See the following: https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/relayclient
Particularly the first image.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

So I learned that Gargoyle is now using relayd. That's new.

Would be nice to see a little documentation on this added to the Gargoyle site.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It was on the release notes post.
I tried to edit the wiki but I've lost my password and the login/registration page is borked. :(

i3laze

Post by i3laze »

Really wonder why a user should ever specify Bridge IP in v1.9.x. Looks like it is not routed and could be used just fo recovery purposes.
Bridge IP input field is a source of mistakes and should be hidden by developers.

Actual (Relay) IP is currenlty received via DHCP-client from uplink AP/Router.

What is AP/Gateway IP for?? (when DHCP-client is really used above).

What's the difference between "Connect via Client Bridge" and "Connect via WDS"? Seems, last one works only with other WDS-enabled APs.