SIP (VOIP) with 1.9.2

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Cookus

SIP (VOIP) with 1.9.2

Post by Cookus »

I have 1.9.2 on TP-LINK TL-WR1043N/ND v1. I have setup some SIP phones using XLite (win)/EyeBeam (mac) and one physical Fanvil X4 phone. When I check on "enable UPnP & NAT-PMP service" all seems to work but after a short period (hour or so) none of the phones will ring out or receive calls. While somebody is trying to ring in, as soon as I check off the UPnP the phones will ring but there is no audio. When I check on the UPnP and then the audio works again until some time passes where they all break again.

Any suggestions?

I have the Gargoyle doing a PPPPoE connection through a LinkSys ADSL Router so only one NAT layer managed by Gargoyle.

I also have QoS enabled but don't see any VOIP traffic in the VIOP service class. I did try create a Layer rule but it put the router into a reboot loop which I read was a known issue as the Layer7 rules are about to be dropped.

Lantis

Re: SIP (VOIP) with 1.9.2

Post by Lantis »

Instead of using UPnP, it might be more stable to manually port forward the right ports to the phone
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

vyrgozunqk

Post by vyrgozunqk »

Indeed, UPnP should not be utilized by most softphone clients for various reasons (though this can help in some cases).

Softphone clients like X-Lite, Zoiper and others depend on technologies such as STUN, TURN & ICE to overcome NAT, the server should also help in the NAT handling, however in some cases only port-forwarding will do the job.

Usually with simptoms like the ones you've described the problem is the port time-out which as I remember with openWRT and I guess Gargoyle should be - 600 seconds for TCP and 120 seconds for UDP connections. Thus if you do not "punch" your port for 600 seconds, he will be closed and you will loose the connection till your next re-registration with the server, and this will happen according to your account settings or your server requirements(the old standard was 3600 seconds).

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Thanks for the extra info.
This definitely sounds like the symptoms.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.