Unable to forward at 120 mbps

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

drmongrain

Unable to forward at 120 mbps

Post by drmongrain »

I have version 1.8.1 running on a TP-LINK Archer C7. I just upgraded my cable Internet speed from 30 to 120 mbps. Prior to the upgrade I was able to achieve maximum Internet speed but now wireline clients top at 80 mbps or so. Connecting directly to cable modem provides maximum speed so Gargoyle router is unable to forward at max speed. If I disable bandwidth monitoring I can achieve close to max speed (about 115 mbps) so I am hitting a performance ceiling.

Is there a way to tweak configuration to achieve better performance while keeping bandwidth monitoring (I love this feature especially with two teens in the house!) ?

If it is the TP-LINK Archer C7 that is not beefy enough, any recommendation for a router with more processing power?

Thanx,
Dan

Lantis

Re: Unable to forward at 120 mbps

Post by Lantis »

You've hit the nail on the head and done all the right investigative steps.
You're at the performance barrier of the CPU.
Although you're hitting it a little lower than I would have expected.
I would have thought you'd hit 130ish.

What connection mode are you on?
PPPoE is slightly slower than DHCP. That difference might squeeze another 10mbps out of it.

Also you could try 1.9.2 to see if updated code and kernel revision helps in this instance.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ericwong

Re: Unable to forward at 120 mbps

Post by ericwong »

drmongrain wrote: Is there a way to tweak configuration to achieve better performance while keeping bandwidth monitoring (I love this feature especially with two teens in the house!) ?

If it is the TP-LINK Archer C7 that is not beefy enough, any recommendation for a router with more processing power?
Read this
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10897#p44677

In short, you need a router with faster CPU unless you change your settings.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.