VLAN Tagging on VDSL port - ISP requirement

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

maxwolfie

Re: VLAN Tagging on VDSL port - ISP requirement

Post by maxwolfie »

Lantis wrote:Are you using the interface to make the change between DHCP and PPPoE?
If yes, it will override the settings you just changed more than likely
Yes, I am. Even prior to the configuration change, it seemed temperamental in that I needed to set it to DHCP to get the router interfacing with the modem, and only once it had an IP address from the modem I could then set it to PPPoE. It does not seem to work on PPPoE straight away, at least from my experiences so far.

I understand what you are saying about the interface overriding the settings. I just don't know how the configuration needs to be modified so that it will just work with no further interface changes.

Adri

Post by Adri »

I don't know what you are trying to achieve.....
If you are using PPPoE, then the WAN-side ip-address is negotiated as part of setting up the PPPoE connection with the ISP server.
DHCP is never used in combination with PPPoE.

You talking about a modem sitting in the middle?
In that case the modem has to make the PPPoE connection with your ISP and Gargoyle is just using DHCP without PPPoE.

What you are trying to do is not a standard way of using PPPoE. If you really need to do this, my best suggestion is to give Gargoyle a fixed ip-address instead of using DHCP and optionally reserve that ip-address on the DHCP server of the modem.

maxwolfie

Post by maxwolfie »

Adri wrote:I don't know what you are trying to achieve.....
If you are using PPPoE, then the WAN-side ip-address is negotiated as part of setting up the PPPoE connection with the ISP server.
DHCP is never used in combination with PPPoE.

You talking about a modem sitting in the middle?
In that case the modem has to make the PPPoE connection with your ISP and Gargoyle is just using DHCP without PPPoE.

What you are trying to do is not a standard way of using PPPoE. If you really need to do this, my best suggestion is to give Gargoyle a fixed ip-address instead of using DHCP and optionally reserve that ip-address on the DHCP server of the modem.
Hi Adri, thanks for your help again.

I am just trying to set everything up such that my modem is bridged and the router (with Gargoyle firmware) is handling everything else (including the VLAN tag as needed). I haven't had any success with simply setting the router to PPPoE straight away. It seems that I need to set it to DHCP first, then restart, then set it to PPPoE. Without doing it in this way, Gargoyle does not seem to make a connection to the Internet.

I am wondering if my router should still be getting an IP address of 192.168.2.2 from my modem's DHCP server in PPPoE mode? If not, and it should be, do I need to specify a WAN-side IP address of 192.168.2.2 and a gateway IP address of 192.168.2.1 somewhere in the configuration?

Adri

Post by Adri »

maxwolfie wrote:Hi Adri, thanks for your help again.

I am just trying to set everything up such that my modem is bridged and the router (with Gargoyle firmware) is handling everything else (including the VLAN tag as needed). I haven't had any success with simply setting the router to PPPoE straight away. It seems that I need to set it to DHCP first, then restart, then set it to PPPoE. Without doing it in this way, Gargoyle does not seem to make a connection to the Internet.

I am wondering if my router should still be getting an IP address of 192.168.2.2 from my modem's DHCP server in PPPoE mode? If not, and it should be, do I need to specify a WAN-side IP address of 192.168.2.2 and a gateway IP address of 192.168.2.1 somewhere in the configuration?
If your modem is acting as a DHCP server, then it is not a bridge and it not acting as a dumb modem. It is in fact functioning as a router!
Does your modem have a PPPoE passthrough option?
What is the function of the modem anyway, if you need to build a PPPoE connection to your ISP using Gargoyle?
I still find it a strange setup, when you have an Internet connection with a public IP-address and a private address space with NAT, but you need to establish a PPPoE connection from a private IP-address to your ISP to get connected to the internet.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

(Note that in PPPoE setup, it is often beneficial to leave DHCP on the bridged modem for ease of access to the modems interface)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

maxwolfie

Post by maxwolfie »

Adri wrote:
maxwolfie wrote:Hi Adri, thanks for your help again.

If your modem is acting as a DHCP server, then it is not a bridge and it not acting as a dumb modem. It is in fact functioning as a router!
Does your modem have a PPPoE passthrough option?
What is the function of the modem anyway, if you need to build a PPPoE connection to your ISP using Gargoyle?
I still find it a strange setup, when you have an Internet connection with a public IP-address and a private address space with NAT, but you need to establish a PPPoE connection from a private IP-address to your ISP to get connected to the internet.
See below :)
Lantis wrote:(Note that in PPPoE setup, it is often beneficial to leave DHCP on the bridged modem for ease of access to the modems interface)
This is exactly what I have done, for this same reason. A little while ago I was searching for a way to access my modem from behind the router, and this seems to work very well.

I still seem to be having issues with getting this to work properly. I was under the impression that my setup is fairly standard - a bridged modem and a router doing all the work.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Even in this configuration you shouldn't need to be changing your settings to get a DHCP lease. It should work.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Adri

Post by Adri »

If you have a PPPoE connection established, how does Gargoyle know the 'route' to the bridged modem?
The default route should now be the external ISP and there is no additional 'internal' network configured to access the bridged modem.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargo ... cess.pppoe

This script is called when the connection type is PPPoE, establishing a route to the modem.
You can use the same script when the router is set to DHCP to access the upstream device. But it isn't called by default in this config.

ninderrycomp

Post by ninderrycomp »

I recently discovered this limitation of Gargoyle... rather annoying. Will VLAN tagging be a thing in the GUI in future versions by any chance?