Routing trouble

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ektus

Routing trouble

Post by ektus »

Hi all,

I've got a very strange problem here. As of yesterday, I've replaced a WD MyNet N900 running stock with a TP-Link Archer C7 V2.0 running the latest 1.9.x firmware build 2017-01-19. Since then, one of my vintage computers has lost most of it's network access. It's an Atari Falcon with a ROM-Port network adapter and RTL8012 network chip. It's working somehow, but has routing trouble. I can define routes to local hosts and a default route, but it tries to reach any host (even local ones, with exception of those in the local routing table) via the default route. Looks like it ignores the network mask.
Anyway, the previous main router was somehow handling this, but with the new Gargoyle system there's no connectivity from the Falcon to the internet or local hosts not in the Falcon's routing table. At least not on TCP/IP level, I can reach the Falcon just fine with arping.

The Falcon can ping the Archer running Gargoyle, both it's LAN and WAN addresses. But it can't reach the next router up the chain on the Archer's WAN side.

After hours of fiddling around, I've found a workaround. I've got another gargoyle router running 1.7.X (Built 20150519-0919 git@8a8363f) that acts as wireless bridge/repeater to connect to a device in another building, all in the same 192.168.0.x subnet. If I set that router's IP as gateway, everything works. Seems like the older version of Gargoyle redistributes the packages at need, even to the internet.
Is there a way I can achieve this without using the second router? Firewall settings or some such?

Regards
Ektus.

ispyisail

Re: Routing trouble

Post by ispyisail »

Whats the status of this problem?

ektus

Post by ektus »

I haven't touched it since. Will check next weekend and let you know.

Regards
Ektus.

ektus

Post by ektus »

ispyisail wrote:Whats the status of this problem?
The router is now running the latest 1.10.0 release. I've reverted the Falcon to using the router as gateway, and it's working. So, reason unknown but problem is gone.

Regards
Ektus.