Cloudflare DDNS

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

stuartbh

Cloudflare DDNS

Post by stuartbh »

Gargoyle users,

I am trying to setup Cloudflare DDNS on my router (I switched from Google DNS, which worked fine to Cloudflare DNS), and it seems not to be working so well. The reason for the switch was Cloudflare's support for an API so I could more easily use Let's Encrypt certificates via TXT verification of owning a domain via DNS.

I placed the API Key and the email address in and still there is an error when attempting to update it and the DNS servers are surely Cloudflare's now not Google's.

The error I get is:

Update failed. Ensure your configuration is valid and that you are connected to the internet.

Obviously, if I am sending this message I am connected to the Internet. I presume my configuration is wrong, but I fail to see how it might be. Any ideas would be most greatly appreciated!
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

Lantis

Re: Cloudflare DDNS

Post by Lantis »

You installed the extra plugin to enable CloudFlare ddns?
If you want to update a domain, enter it as "@example.com". If you want to update a subdomain enter it as "sub.domain@example.com".

For CloudFlare you can also manually invoke the helper file at /usr/lib/gargoyle/ddns-gargoyle/cloudflare-ddns-helper.sh
If you can make it work using the helper file, then just transpose your settings across into the ddns GUI. The helper can be set to verbose mode which helps debugging.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh »

Lantis wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:57 pm
You installed the extra plugin to enable CloudFlare ddns?
Yes, I installed it before trying to attempt to leverage the functionality with Cloudflare. However, retrospectively speaking I suppose it would have been wise to state as much in my original posting.
Lantis wrote:
If you want to update a domain, enter it as "@example.com". If you want to update a subdomain enter it as "sub.domain@example.com".
Interesting nothing on that screen mentions using this non-intuitive nomenclature. In fact, I did try it and once I changed "home.example.com" to "home@example.com" format, all was good! :)
Lantis wrote:
For CloudFlare you can also manually invoke the helper file at /usr/lib/gargoyle/ddns-gargoyle/cloudflare-ddns-helper.sh
If you can make it work using the helper file, then just transpose your settings across into the ddns GUI. The helper can be set to verbose mode which helps debugging.
It worked fine after effectuating the recommended format change and so I never had to attempt the above entitled procedures and run it from the command line.

Thank you for your help.
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Yep. Sorry that its not documented. I lifted most of the functionality of that plugin from OpenWrt for my own use (as i also use Cloudflare) and then quickly reworked it for Gargoyle.

It would make sense to be able to split the subdomain and domain components which would then prevent the need for the @ symbol to delineate them.
I'll try to look at either documenting the syntax or splitting them.

Glad it is now working for you
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

https://github.com/lantis1008/gargoyle/ ... 61ed90aabb

The solution was not possible using existing capability in the underlying ddns daemon so a recompile is necessary.
I'll make this available in a future version. I don't have intentions to bring it back to 1.13.x at this time.

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh »

You speak of 1.13.x and it brings to mind a question: I am running 1.12 (as I prefer to run stable software), but 1.13 would seem to be the development version since 03 DEC of 2019. That is over two years since a release, will a new stable version be forthcoming anytime in the near future?
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

While i don't control the releases, I can suggest to Eric when is an appropriate time to do a release.
I'm reasonably comfortable with 1.13 personally, but there's always more that could be done.

Making an official release of 1.13 will still make it "experimental" by the definitions of the odds vs evens version numbers. The next "stable" release, I have no idea honestly.
I'm flat out trying to keep pace with upstream OpenWrt developments with the limited time I have.

It's probably time to do 1.13.0. I'll send him a message.

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh »

Lantis,

Firstly, I am not aware of the release quality of 1.13, as I have not installed it, tested it, or even read messages following is development. Thus, only if 1.13 is production quality would I ever assert that it should be considered to be released as such.

Secondly, I never intended to suggest or impel that anyone take the project's version enumeration scheme and subject it to transmogrification. I would imagine that if 1.13 is released as stable the appropriate thing to do would be to release it as 1.14 in sequence. Now, as you probably have guessed, what the number of the next stable release becomes is something I have no opinion on honestly excepting why not do as has always been done?

Retrospectively speaking, perhaps I was inartfully describing the fact that an over two year old stable release means that no kernel updates (and thus by implication, no security updates) have been proffered for users of the stable release. This alone is a rather scary prospect for those concerned about the security of their router.

I placed my Century Link C3000Z (Zyxel) in bridge mode because no firmware updates were forthcoming over 4 years (granted, I give Zyxel credit for giving me the full base source code they gave Century Link to customize, yes, it is Linux based). In succession to doing that my next move was to load my router with Gargoyle.

In the SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle), "experimental" is not really a term that is used, (development, test, QA, and production are the terms) and I translate stable to mean production quality and experimental to mean development quality. I am very aware that not everyone on this project is a Computer Scientist or Software Engineer (personally, I am a Computer Scientist), but, the audience of this software might well be inclusive of such folks (counting me at minimum).

I am by no means unappreciative of the fact that this is not the full time work or even part time of anyone and is more of a hobby for most contributors and I absolutely am trying not to be derisive or dismissive of anyone's efforts thus far, quite the reverse, THANK YOU TO ALL THAT CONTRIBUTE!
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
Just manage your expectations and you won't be disappointed. Sounds like you want production quality with guarantees. You're looking in the wrong place if that's the case.
If you want the latest and greatest features, bug fixes and security updates, follow the development branch.
If the word "development" irks you, stay on stable, but then you just have to understand that it's a static target.

Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

Hello all,

I'm using 1.13 on a Linksys 1900ACSv2.

I'm currently trying to add Dynamic DNS Service using Cloudflare.

I have installed the extra plug-in and when configuring, I get an error:

This is an example of my configuration

Can anyone provide guidance?
My I suggest having some examples when selecting the service provider or even a link to a page where examples can be easily updated?
Proud owner of Gargoyle in
  • Tp-Link TL-WR1043N
  • Tp-Link TL-WDR3600
  • Linksys WRT1900ACS