Trivial data saved to flash??

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Hoggy

Trivial data saved to flash??

Post by Hoggy »

Hi,

I'm new to Gargoyle on my Netgear WNDR3800 router.. Which has 128MB of ram. I installed it ~3 days ago.

I've read that the BW monitor will write data to the flash. I also worry about other trivial data being written to the flash that I am yet to discover.
At least to me this data is trivial and mostly a curiosity. I also have my router (& most other devices) attached to some UPS's, but even if I lost some trivial data I wouldn't care. However, it would be nice to save such data to flash if I need/want to reboot the router for some reason.

I've read that flash devices could withstand many rewrites due to one user report, but I don't know how good that test was. So I'd rather not write such data to flash if I could avoid it. I'd rather use the 128MB of ram on this router for such things.

I also suffer from a disability that can cause severe cognitive and memory problems (Fibromyalgia), as well as issues with using the computer too long due to pain in the wrists/fingers. So even though I have an extensive background in computers, things can get very confusing these days. ;)

I read the FAQ about how to change the write interval for the bandwidth monitor, but I still don't understand what it means or what to change in that line. (I DO know how to use WinSCP somewhat due to this router/Gargoyle though.)

So how can I alter things so that the flash isn't written to for such trivial [to me] information?
I'm also not sure as to how router ram is used, but went for this router due to it 128MB of it as well as it was supported by alternate firmwares, as opposed to the WNDR3700v3 that I was unlucky enough to get ~1-2 months ago. So I want to be able to take best advantage of the high amount of memory in this router.

Many thanks, and I hope I've explained myself clearly enough (a problem of mine. :-)
Netgear WNDR3800 w/Gargoyle 1.5.8 (using)
Netgear WNDR3700v3 w/Factory FW (now as backup)
Noticed wireless is stronger in WNDR3800 too.

Hoggy

Re: Trivial data saved to flash??

Post by Hoggy »

OH - and the same would go for the 'web searches' section.

It would be nice to have an option to save this type of data to RAM, and also maybe an option to save it to a network location (either manually or automatically).

... Just would like to preserve the flash wear for as long as possible -- seeing as I play around with router configurations a good amount. ;)

Hoggy

Re: Trivial data saved to flash??

Post by Hoggy »

Ok, so I've done some more digging around within the Gargoyle structures via WinSCP...

I found an area that looks like it might allow me to change where the BW monitor and websearches are saved:

In /etc/config/webmon_gargoyle, i see:

option 'domain_save_path' '/usr/data/webmon_domains.txt'
option 'search_save_path' '/usr/data/webmon_searches.txt'

Could I simply change that to point to '/tmp' instead and have all be right in the world again?? :lol: