4mb versus 8mb flash

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Richard Adams

4mb versus 8mb flash

Post by Richard Adams »

The Atheros AR71XX based routers TP-Link TL-WR741ND has 4mb flash, while WR1043ND has 8mb flash. The have the same RAM size of 32mb.

I mention these two since they are currently in the Gargoyle store.

I see the differences of the 1043ND versus 741ND as far as USB port, gigabit wired ports, more antennas and better radio.

My questions:

1) With the Gargoyle firmware installed in these, are there special Gargoyle features added in the 1043ND because it has more room in the flash, while those gargoyle features are not in the 741ND because its flash is smaller ?

2) Can you supply a list of features of the stock version of these routers that are known to be non-functional in the current Gargoyle firmware ?

3) If I connect a wired gigabit ethernet switch to one of the non-wan ports on a 741ND routers with Gargoyle firmware, and all of my PCs to the gigabit switch, and disable wireless in the 741ND, will I be able to monitor / limit bandwidth for the computers plugged into that switch?

Thank you for considering my questions.

pbix
Developer

Re: 4mb versus 8mb flash

Post by pbix »

Richard Adams wrote: 1) With the Gargoyle firmware installed in these, are there special Gargoyle features added in the 1043ND because it has more room in the flash, while those gargoyle features are not in the 741ND because its flash is smaller ?
They have the same features but I recommend 8MB of flash because you can install other packages if you want. Other possible packages are Linux packages, not related to Gargoyle.
Richard Adams wrote: 2) Can you supply a list of features of the stock version of these routers that are known to be non-functional in the current Gargoyle firmware ?
Such a list does not exist. You will have to purchase a stock router and compile the list yourself. Then if you share with other Gargoyle users some other people may benefit from your work. It is the OpenSource way.
Richard Adams wrote: 3) If I connect a wired gigabit ethernet switch to one of the non-wan ports on a 741ND routers with Gargoyle firmware, and all of my PCs to the gigabit switch, and disable wireless in the 741ND, will I be able to monitor / limit bandwidth for the computers plugged into that switch?
Yes. The Gargoyle quota system will work for any computer for which Gargoyle is the primary router. It does not matter how many switches are there or if it is Wired or Wireless.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM