QoS+ACC download drops entirely too low

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

pbuck

QoS+ACC download drops entirely too low

Post by pbuck »

Hello,
I'm running 1.5.4 on a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH and I quite like the firmware but I'm having trouble with the QoS settings/performance.

I set up three classes for download:
  • Gaming: %BW: 40, MinBW: 0, MaxBW: no limit, MinRTT: yes
    AppleTV: %BW: 40, MinBW: 0, MaxBW: no limit, MinRTT: no
    Normal: %BW: 20, MinBW: 0, MaxBW: no limit, MinRTT: no
Speakeasy Speedtest shows my bandwidth at:
  • Download Speed: 35529 kbps (4441.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 5435 kbps (679.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
So I put Total Download Bandwidth at 35000 and enabled ACC.

I also set up an upload QoS class, one called Normal that has 100% bandwidth and enabled upload QoS at 5500 max upload speed.

This configuration seems to work well for a time, but after awhile ACC starts to drop the max download speed incredibly low for no apparent reason. At one point last night while trying to download something from Steam on a "Gaming" classified PC I was only getting something like 400kB/s. Speedtest was reporting under 1Mbps download speed. ACC status showed Fair Link Limit well under 35000kbps, showing as low as 1000kbps at times.

My local network was not being used by any client other than the "Gaming" classified PC and my cable connection was definitely not saturated. I disabled Download QoS and my Steam download skyrocketed back up to 3.1-3.2mB/s sustained. Again, no other client on the network was in use.

Any advice?

pbix
Developer

Re: QoS+ACC download drops entirely too low

Post by pbix »

pbuck wrote: I set up three classes for download:

Gaming: %BW: 40, MinBW: 0, MaxBW: no limit, MinRTT: yes
AppleTV: %BW: 40, MinBW: 0, MaxBW: no limit, MinRTT: no
Normal: %BW: 20, MinBW: 0, MaxBW: no limit, MinRTT: no
Normally for a gaming class I recommend you include a minimum bandwidth. To see what to use play your games and observe what they need. Others do not need this minimum.
pbuck wrote: Speakeasy Speedtest shows my bandwidth at:
  • Download Speed: 35529 kbps (4441.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 5435 kbps (679.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
So I put Total Download Bandwidth at 35000 and enabled ACC.

I also set up an upload QoS class, one called Normal that has 100% bandwidth and enabled upload QoS at 5500 max upload speed.
You should not set your upload speed to 5500 if your test says its only 5435. Lets start with 95% of 5435 = 5163 per the instructions.

The ACC is trying to maintain your ping time so it is not "for no apparent reason" that it lowers the fair link limit. So what is the average ping and the ping target shown on the status section when you experience this slowdown? Please post this section.

You say your download speed is set to 35000kbps. The ACC has a dynamic range of only 6:1 so there should be no case that is falls below 35000/6=5833 kbps. Again please post the status section to show what you are seeing.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM