WR841N bricked? I didn't do it!

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

ballistyx

WR841N bricked? I didn't do it!

Post by ballistyx »

I was trying to sort out the DHCP on my 841 v7.2 running 1.5.4.
A laptop on wireless wasn't getting the right DNS, though they were set as custom on the router LAN page.
Anyway, I think I fiddled with the WAN setting (can't recall exactly what I changed) and power cycled the router. At that point I lost all communication with it. No ping, no web GUI. Data will still pass through it
(modem -- 841 -- wr641 -- PC, where the 641 is a wireless bridge across the road) and it's still showing in wireless networks and giving the laptop an IP.
It won't reset with a simple factory reset, won't 30/30/30 and I don't seem to be able to telnet to it.
But if it's working, then it can't be bricked, no? Just doesn't want to talk to me.

Any help GREATLY appreciated!! I am at my wits' end.

mix

Re: WR841N bricked? I didn't do it!

Post by mix »

There is no such thing as a 30/30/30 reset with OpenWRT routers. You need to get into failsafe mode and issue the command firstboot, that should reset things to defaults:

When the SYS led (under gear icon) starts to blink push the QSS button for around 5-10 secs (the led should blink faster).

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.failsafe
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

ballistyx

Re: WR841N bricked? I didn't do it!

Post by ballistyx »

To be honest, I was willing to try anything, when I tried 30/30/30! Thanks a lot Mix - she's running again.
I think I had tried failsafe before, but didn't think it had worked. Turned out I must have had a dodgy telnet app (I used ExtraPutty as I'd had no end of trouble getting to the page for the original) and it never logged in.
Finally got the genuine Putty and managed to telnet in.
Now to redo all my settings (avoiding whatever locked me out!) and go back to figuring out why it wouldn't give the laptop the right DNS servers.
Watch this space ;)