MAC/IP binding (WR841N)

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

ballistyx

MAC/IP binding (WR841N)

Post by ballistyx »

Is this the same as Address Reservation?
The closest thing to this that I can see on my Gargoyle is the Static IP section under DHCP, but this doesn't really seem to be a binding option is it?
I'd like wireless devices to be assigned certain IPs according to their MAC so they can be included in specific rule sets.
Is there anything that can do this for me? I have a couple of WR641Gs in the network too, and I see that they can facilitate DHCP Address Reservation, so should I delegate one of those to do the DHCP instead?

(diagram of network attached)
Attachments
network.gif
network.gif (15.54 KiB) Viewed 3807 times

mix

Re: MAC/IP binding (WR841N)

Post by mix »

ballistyx wrote:I'd like wireless devices to be assigned certain IPs according to their MAC so they can be included in specific rule sets.
So then type in the mac addresses of the wireless devices, the ip addresses you want assigned, and click save. Don't know how it can be anymore straight forward.
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

ballistyx

Re: MAC/IP binding (WR841N)

Post by ballistyx »

mix wrote:So then type in the mac addresses of the wireless devices, the ip addresses you want assigned, and click save. Don't know how it can be anymore straight forward.
Yes, I'm not a complete moron thank you. It's just that the DHCP page doesn't exactly make it clear what the function of the static IPs is. It's not called Address Reservation or something, nor does it have a little note that says "These IP addresses will be given out to these particular MAC addresses via DHCP".

All you needed to say was "Yes, it is the same as Address Reservation."

Way to treat the noob. :(