Static IP setup, "Unknown" Hostname - Need help!

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

neo__04

Static IP setup, "Unknown" Hostname - Need help!

Post by neo__04 »

Hey all,

Had my first go at getting gargoyle running tonight with resonable success. Just have a few questions as things didnt quite go to plan.

Gargoyle router is a Netgear wndr3700v2 setup as default (gateway).
I have a netgear adsl2 modem setup as default, plugged into the Wan port on the Gargoyle box. Then the gargoyle box feeds a wireless accesspoint outside. Everything in that respect works fine. Wireless users outside have internet, I could see them all connecting, there host name, ip & mac address were listed. I read that I should add them all to their static ip address, so I did that for all the users as they connected. I changed a few things, restarted the router and when i logged back in, it only lists their IP & Mac address, they all display "Unknown" as the host address. Makes it very hard to track users without this. DHCP is turned on, so they can connect, then ill add them to static. Also it seems to be showing their DHCP ip addresses, even after i had changed them to static.

Any ideas on what might be wrong. Is there a way to disconnect all users, clear out all their connection information and start again?

I definately need to be able to see the host name.

Can anyone help?

b0rg

Re: Static IP setup, "Unknown" Hostname - Need help!

Post by b0rg »

I had the same thing happen when setting up mine for the first time. Rebooting the client machine caused it to refresh, so did using ipconfig to release and renew it's ip. Rebooting the router itself may take care of all of them at once, though I didn't try this personally. It seems the clients still remember the ip they were assigned and will be setting themselves to that until the lease expires and they would poll dhcp for a new one.