Ubiquiti and Gargoyle - atheros 231x ?

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Baron3K

Ubiquiti and Gargoyle - atheros 231x ?

Post by Baron3K »

Hello, propably I'am posting a question that maybe is already sloved. Hard to say. I wanted to ask two things.

1. Does Gargoyle support 40mhz channel width on Ubiquiti atheros 231x devices ? (2,4Ghz 802.11G-Turbo 108mbps)

2. I tried to test 1.3.9 Gargoyle on my UBNT NanoStation2 had problems with saving configuration data. Also is there any configuration for changing the polarization from horizontal to vertical for a build in antenna ?

kind regards,

Bartek

BikeMike

Re: Ubiquiti and Gargoyle - atheros 231x ?

Post by BikeMike »

I can't answer your other questions, but antenna polarisation is not something you can change with software. It is determined by physical characteristics and orientation of an antenna. Actually I never knew polarisation would be an issue for WiFi, although I have heard of it causing problems with TV frequencies.

Baron3K

Re: Ubiquiti and Gargoyle - atheros 231x ?

Post by Baron3K »

Well in Nanostations from UBNT you can change polarization of the antenna by the sotware (AirOs).

I found that looking over some openwrt docs.

source - http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/ubiquiti/nanostation

Switching antenna

The two internal antennas work more or less automatically, using the driver's "diversity" setting to choose the correct one. Using an external antenna requires manually setting a few things:

sysctl set dev.wifi0.softled 0
gpioctl 7 0

These can be added to an init file in /etc/rc.d and /etc/init.d

In recent OpenWrt versions (8.09.1+) the antenna setting is covered by the wireless configuration. The corresponding option is called antenna and should be set within the wifi-iface section.

uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[0].antenna=mode
uci commit wireless
wifi

Options:

vertical Use internal antenna with vertical polarization
horizontal Use internal antenna with horizontal polarization
external Use external antenna port

I guess that solves one question.

What about 40mhz channel in 2,4ghz band ?