Status > Overview panel with Netgear WNDR3700 V1

Discuss the technical details of Gargoyle and ongoing development

Moderator: Moderators

bobpok

Status > Overview panel with Netgear WNDR3700 V1

Post by bobpok »

I am a new user of Gargoyle firmware and just upgraded to V1.50 on a Netgear WNDR3700 V1 which has simultaneous, dual-band radio capability. I have unique access point SSIDs assigned to the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios. I see on the Status > Overview panel that only the SSID for the 2.4GHz radio is displayed. I would like to see both SSIDs be displayed on the Status > Overview panel when both radios are active.

Here are my initial experiences with my path to the Gargoyle firmware ...

I have previously used the following firmwares with my router (in this order) -- stock, OpenWRT, and DD-WRT. While the user interfaces of these firmwares have generally been decent, I have experienced anomalies with the user interface of each of these firmwares which ultimately drove me to the next firmware (e.g., strange behavior after defining what turned out to be "too many" static IP addresses, or settings not properly "sticking" even when carefully performing an apply/save after setting individual values and definitely ensuring an apply/save was performed before leaving a given settings panel). As others users have done, I was able to circumvent these interface panel issues by manually editing the /etc/config/ files. While researching issues in the respective firmware forums I recalled seeing several favorable references to a lesser-known firmware named Gargoyle and decided to check it out. For me, the interface is clean, straightforward, and robust -- i.e., no strange interface behavior observed during any of the setup. It installed without a hitch and in my limited 4 days of use, everything looks good -- wired and 2.4GHz / 5GHz 802.11n-only wireless connections are solid and wireless performance is great. I think that I have completed my search for a firmware that I like. Thank you for developing this product and making it available to the public.

Bob B.

ledan

Re: Status > Overview panel with Netgear WNDR3700 V1

Post by ledan »

How is your wireless performance compared to stock ?

I have tried Openwrt but the wireless performance are not as good as stock firmware.
Stock: around 15MB/s
Opemwrt: around 8MB/s

ledan

Re: Status > Overview panel with Netgear WNDR3700 V1

Post by ledan »

Ok did my own tests on my WNDR3700v1 and....

WOW...

I have tried stock, openwrt kamikaze, openwrt backfire and now gargoyle and IT IS THE BEST

I have about same speed or better than stock and way better than other openwrt.

N speed, 5 GHZ, 40 MHZ : 18MB/s at 15 feet
stock: 15MB/s
other openwrt: not more than 10MB/s

Thanks