Trouble: Using quotas maxes ping out

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

sliddjur

Trouble: Using quotas maxes ping out

Post by sliddjur »

I just finally got myself a new router and threw Gargoyle on it. I'm using wndr3700v2 on a 16/2Mbit internet connection.
I want to use quotas to limit my roomies leeching on torrents. In order for me to still be able to play my online games with low latency.
They usually turn a torrent on, and leave it there. I want to use quotas this way:
Limit every user, expect myself to 100MB up and down per day. Then limit bandwidth to 100/20kbps (so they still can use youtube etc...)
But when I tried this (I applied this to all host just now, since they are sleeping now and everything works fine at the moment), it worked out well, but when my quota was used, my ping was maxed to the max! The bandwidth limiting seemed to work, but the latency was just horrible. I was barely able to surf the web, and pings went from 500 to 2000ms.
What am I doing wrong?

pbix
Developer

Re: Trouble: Using quotas maxes ping out

Post by pbix »

There is really no connection between ping times and quotas. What are then your goals in using quotas?

To maintain ping times you should use QoS and the active congestion controller. The controller will automatically adjust your link speed until the ping times are under 100ms.

You should make a class for your computer with a minimum bandwidth. Then use your computer's IP address to make a rule such that all your computer's traffic is routed to the class. Decide the minimum bandwidth you need by watching your class activity while playing your games. Then give yourself about 20% more than that. Do this for both upload and download.

Then everyone else's computer goes to the default class with no minimum bandwidth. The max & average class settings can be as you like as it will not affect your pings.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

sliddjur

Post by sliddjur »

So, basicly what I want to do. Is set all users (expect myself) to have 0.00000001MB quota (which is fullfilled instantly) per day. Then I want to set all users (expect myself) bandwidth to 200/30kbps.
Then they can go torrenting on 200kbps/s if theyd like to, or watching youtube whatever. While I have the rest of the connection for myself.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

There is no need to use Quotas in your case at all. Disable quotas and instead only use the QoS features.

Make a class with maximum bandwidth of 200kbps and make it the default class.

Make another class for your self and and rule to assigned your IP to that class.

Do the above on both th upload and download screens.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM