roaming with multiple wired AP's?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Matthewk

roaming with multiple wired AP's?

Post by Matthewk »

Howdy,

I have a big old house and a barn that I am trying to get internet into. I have on the Buffalo hi power AP's set up with Gargoyle and we have some dead sports.

My first thought was to go to deaextreme and pick up a 2W amp for the AP but that would cost me a few bucks.

It was not too hard to run a wire up to the second floor where the dead sports are, and I got a WRT54G V2 sans power cube from the local freecycle.

The plan was to have the cable modem go into the Buffalo routers WAN port, have the Buffalo router set up as a gateway with a DHCP server and NAT and all that, then run a wire from one of the LAN ports on the buffalo router up to the second floor into the WAN port of the Linksys.

The second floor Linksys would be set up to bridge the wired network on the WAN with the wirelesss network on the second floor.

As soon as I turn the bridging mode on I get the client bridge mode and this all sounds like it wants to bridge the two networks via wireless and that is not what I am after. Ideally I want to turn off the DHCP and NAT and firewall on the Linksys router as all of those services will be provided by the Buffalo router in front of it.

Is there a semi easy way to do this?

Rumor has it that if the ssid's and the keys are the same than clients can roam between the AP's.

Any thoughts?

bplotkin

Re: roaming with multiple wired AP's?

Post by bplotkin »

I think what you are interested in is a repeater/bridge to do that you go to Connection and under "Device Configuration" select Wireless Bridge/Repeater instead of gateway, than you can scan and attach yourself to the other network.

Now the gargoyle will 'repeat' the same signal with all the same security settings (assuming it connected well) and extend your wireless network that way.

Let me know if it works.
Linksys WRT54GL = Gargoyle 1.4.2
TP-Link TL-WR741ND = Gargoyle 1.4.2
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH = Gargoyle 1.4.2
http://eduboris.blogspot.com/search/label/Gargoyle

Matthewk

Post by Matthewk »

Thanks for the reply, but that is not I am after. What you are talking about is a wireless repeater. This is bad for your bandwidth. I am looking to connect multiple devices to the wired network.

Thanks for the thought though!

caeci11ius

Post by caeci11ius »

I don't have one in front of me to check, but from memory I don't think Gargoyle supports what you want at the moment, as I think you have options to connect via wireless bridging or wds only when you put it into repeater mode. What you actually want (so see if there's a way to do this) is to put it in repeater mode, but then just have the wireless in AP mode.

If you can't see a way to do this, I'd suggest using Gargoyle as your primary router (most of its unique functionality is only exposed in this mode anyway) and then use either openwrt or DD-wrt on your other APs.

You are correct BTW...multiple APs on the same wired network with same SSID and security setting will allow roaming and should not even drop packets. Remember to disable NAT, DHCP and the like on all but your primary router.

Matthewk

Post by Matthewk »

That is exactly what I am looking for. Perhaps I can re submit it as a feature request as it should be easy to. Thanks for letting me know what I am looking for is not hidden in there someplace!