Changed default IP address, now can't access router

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

jayaskren

Changed default IP address, now can't access router

Post by jayaskren »

I had an old router that I installed Gargoyle on. It worked great until I changed the ip address. When I tried to go to the new ip address http://192.168.0.1, there was no web page to log into. When I tried the original ip address, http://192.168.1.1, still no web page. It was an old router, so I thought maybe the router itself just died. I ordered one of the new Garygoyle routers and the exact same thing happened. Is there any way to recover from this? What is the secret to changing the ip address without bricking the router. I already have a router on our network which has the default address.

DoesItMatter

Re: Changed default IP address, now can't access router

Post by DoesItMatter »

What model of router is the old model that you changed the IP?

When you do this type of config, you should be connected
directly to the router if at all possible.

If you have any other devices that could possibly have a similar IP
address, you get IP Conflicts going on. There could be multiple
devices with the same IP on a network, but you don't know which
will answer the reply first.

So if you have Router 1 with 192.168.1.1 and Router 2 with 192.168.1.1

If Router 2 answers first, you can never get to the GUI of Router 1.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

bplotkin

Post by bplotkin »

I think you still have your default gateway set to the old router IP which means you can't find the new one and the old IP no longer exists anywhere.

Did you try to 'reconnect' simply unplug and plug back your network cable from the pc.

That should do give you the new ip addresses and you should be able to access the router via the new address.

or without doing the physical work you can type 'ipconfig /release' and 'ipconfig /renew' in windows cmd command prompt or run window without the quotes and one at a time since they take a minute or so each.

Let me know more details so we can help figure it out but changing IP doesn't brick your router as far as I know...
Linksys WRT54GL = Gargoyle 1.4.2
TP-Link TL-WR741ND = Gargoyle 1.4.2
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH = Gargoyle 1.4.2
http://eduboris.blogspot.com/search/label/Gargoyle

jayaskren

Post by jayaskren »

@DoesItMatter - The old router is WRT54GS v2.1. I don't think it does matter though since it also happened with the Gargoyle router purchased from this website. I'm trying to this new Gargoyle router working now. I was connected directly to the router with an ethernet cable and the router was not connected to the rest of my network yet. I also turned off my wireless card, so I don't see how there could have been an ip conflict.

@bplotkin - When changing the ip address do I also need to change the default gateway at the same time? I think I remember seeing a text box for that on the web page, but I didn't change it. I've tried reconnecting as well as rebooting the router, setting the ip address manually as well as using dhcp. I've tried firefox and chrome on both Ubuntu and Mac. The result is always the same. It may be the that the router is not bricked, but it might as well be since I can't get to the configuration web page. I can ping the router at least.

When connected to the router here is the results of running ifconfig:

lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether 34:15:9e:16:7e:78
inet6 fe80::3615:9eff:fe16:7e78%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
inet 192.168.0.175 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
en1: flags=8823<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether 58:b0:35:66:f8:a9
media: autoselect (<unknown type>)

bplotkin

Post by bplotkin »

jayaskren wrote:@bplotkin - When changing the ip address do I also need to change the default gateway at the same time? I think I remember seeing a text box for that on the web page, but I didn't change it. I've tried reconnecting as well as rebooting the router, setting the ip address manually as well as using dhcp. I've tried firefox and chrome on both Ubuntu and Mac. The result is always the same. It may be the that the router is not bricked, but it might as well be since I can't get to the configuration web page. I can ping the router at least.
I meant on your PC that you are trying to connect to the router. so it does respond to ping and you can ssh but no web page? that's strange maybe something with the web server... I see from that output it's on 192.168.0.175 and you mentioned the default gateway is not changed maybe it should be 192.168.0.1 but I'm not sure of your setup.

Give us more info so we can help since it's not bricked just mis-configured.
Linksys WRT54GL = Gargoyle 1.4.2
TP-Link TL-WR741ND = Gargoyle 1.4.2
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH = Gargoyle 1.4.2
http://eduboris.blogspot.com/search/label/Gargoyle

Abyss

Post by Abyss »

I had the exact same issue yesterday. The default LAN IP is 192.168.1.1. Once I changed the IP to 192.168.3.1 it stopped working... Then I accidentally connected my computer to WAN port and suddenly I was able to acces my router. So apparently the LAN IP change cause switch of the LAN and WAN ports. Not sure if this is your case or only my Router Station board specific issue.
Anyway it would be nice if it is fixed in next version...

jayaskren

Post by jayaskren »

Thanks, I'll try hooking up to the WAN port and see if that works. That won't work for the Gargoyle router that I bought here because there aren't two different ports. I'll try it with the other router though.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Your original problem sounds like it may have been caused by the IP on your local system not getting updated, because it already had a DHCP lease. Since it would therefore be in a different subnet, you wouldn't be able to access the router. Did the problem persist if you rebooted your PC?

Also, if you need to revive one of the routers you bought on this site you can use the FonFlash utility available in the download section of this website (directions for use are on the wiki). Unless you've smashed the router with a brick or dunked it in a fishtank, chances are it will work. (These things are REALLY hard to permanently brick).

Abyss

Post by Abyss »

In my case it was certainly not a DHCP / IP adress refresh issue. I know about this kind of issue - and I tried to disable/enable/repair my network interface, also switch of the local switch wait for a while and turn on and even restart my PC. Even more I tried to manual setup my PC's network card and use an IP from the new network sub-net.

After 2 hours confused search, I accidentaly connected my PC to the WAN port and suddenly I was able to ping the new address (actually a netscan ran permanently in the background of my PC and that detected that a new IP appeared - which was the new router IP).

So the LAN / WAN part was switched after the router LAN IP change. The router works fine, just I had to switch the cables - and write a note about it :-) Anyway I'm very satisfied with the firmware - really user friendly! Good job and thanks! :-)