Unable to connect to router via ethernet cable.

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Grendel99

Unable to connect to router via ethernet cable.

Post by Grendel99 »

Hi Everyone, I have a frustrating problem that I hope someone will have an answer to. I'm not an expert at this, so I will try to provide as much detail as possible. I have a desktop PC running Windows XP SP3 which can connect to the Internet via wi-fi but not ethernet. I have a D-Link modem/ router (DSL-2642B) set to bridging mode which is connect to a TP-Link router (TL-WR1043ND) which has Gargoyle (1.4.7) installed on it. I can connect various devices to it by wi-fi, including my PC and I can connect my T-Box, which if you're not in Australia, is basically a digital set top box with limited internet capability, to the Internet by the ethernet cable, but the same connection won't work for my PC. I assume that it must have something to do with the settings in my PC, but am not sure which ones. Can someone help? If you need any more info please let me know.

Lantis

Re: Unable to connect to router via ethernet cable.

Post by Lantis »

Few things to check.

Find your network connections settings and find the Ethernet adapter.
Right Click -> Properties -> Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
Check that it is set to "Obtain an IP address automatically".
^ you'll need to adapt those instructions to Win XP. It should be reasonable similar.

Open command prompt.
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

If that doesn't work try setting a manual IP address (same instructions as the first paragraph, but fill out the relevant boxes).

Also have you completed all the "sanity" checks?
* Tried a different ethernet cable
* Tried a different ethernet port
* Tried turning everything off and on again
etc etc.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Grendel99

Post by Grendel99 »

Hi, the adapter is set to automatic. Tried "ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew", no change. Have tried all the 'sanity checks'. Where do I find the info to manually enter the IP address?

Grendel99

Post by Grendel99 »

When I run ipconfig it doesn't recognize my ethernet adaptor. Is this the problem?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

yea that absolutely will be a problem.

try a
netsh winsock reset
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

tapper

Post by tapper »

Update the driver for your lan card you can use this. i used it and it worked for me but that was a wile ago. I don't know if they have added any crapwair so wotch it wen you install it.
http://www.driverwizard.org/
it was all free for me don't pay if it asks.

Update from XP if you can.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260