TEW-652BRP txpower and wlan led

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

mrg666

TEW-652BRP txpower and wlan led

Post by mrg666 »

I am using Gargoyle 1.5.9 configured as bridge/repeater (repeater disabled) connected to a Linksys E2000 running Tomato. First of all, thank you for all the effort. Gargoyle is working very nice and I am very happy with the firmware.

The problem is Transmit Power option in the Connection>Basic menu. When I try to use any value below the maximum value of 27 dBm (I tried 3, 9, 13), the menu settings go back to 27 as soon as I apply the settings. I have connected with ssh to check the txpower in the command line as well using the following command

Code: Select all

iwconfig wlan0 
The above command gives 18dBm as the power setting for every value I set in the GUI (i.e. neither 27 nor the value I set in GUI). However, I can set the txpower using the following command from the command line.

iwconfig wlan0 txpower 9
After above command, I am able to set the txpower to the value specified (can be anything besides 9).

I just wanted to report as this seems to be a bug. Let me know if I am missing something.

There is also one strange observation. Although I am not able to change the txpower from the GUI, I observe 2x higher WiFi throughput after I apply the transmission power settings. So, I just go to the GUI and apply wireless txpower settings after booting every time :) As I wrote above, I checked iwconfig and didn't see any changes. I don't know what is changing to enhance the WiFi performance. Please let me know if I can extract more information from the command line. BTW, I test the WiFi bridge performance by transferring a large file from a file server connected to the E2000 router via Gbit ethernet to my laptop wired to the Gargoyle router (TEW-652BRP). Performance goes from ~5MB/sec to ~9MB/sec.

My WiFi settings
Connect via Client Bridge
Repeater: Repeater Disabled
Operation Mode: N+G+B
Channel Width: 40 MHz (2nd chan. above)
Transmit Power: Custom 27
SSID to Join: .......
Wireless Channel: 1
Encryption: WPA2 PSK
Password: .........
Last edited by mrg666 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:27 am, edited 4 times in total.

mrg666

Re: tew-652BRP transmit power

Post by mrg666 »

The WLAN led also has not been configured for TEW-652RP. If the following added in /etc/config/system, WLAN led works.

config 'led'
        option 'name' 'WLAN'
        option 'sysfs' 'tew-632brp:green:wlan'
        option 'trigger' 'netdev'
        option 'dev' 'wlan0'
        option 'mode' 'link tx rx'
Although the board name appears as tew-632brp, the router is TEW-652BRP. They are the same hardware anyway.