Need help with x86 build in virtualbox

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

luniq

Need help with x86 build in virtualbox

Post by luniq »

Hi,
I am having problem getting gargoyle to work properly within virtualbox. I have no problem getting openwrt to work following tutorial below
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/virtualbox

I have followed the tutorial below to install gargoyle
http://www.fuzzyguides.com/openwrt-10-0 ... ox-install
I tried on 1.5.3 and 1.5.4 and they seem to be installed properly, with 1.5.7 it wouldnt get to the command line. However i couldnt access the web interface and ping also didnt work. I entered ifconfig in command and received the following

I am hoping someone can help me here. I have spent hours trying to get this to work and i dont have much idea what im doing other than trying the things i stumbled on the net.

DoesItMatter

Re: Need help with x86 build in virtualbox

Post by DoesItMatter »

Try 1.5.6 first

If that works then I suspect its the updated Attitude Adjustment
branch in 1.5.7

The author of that page may need to do an update for 1.5.7 and up.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

luniq

Post by luniq »

I am getting the same result with ifconfig on 1.5.6. I tried installing directly on a laptop and got kernel panic error, this was with 1.5.4 till 1.5.6 With 1.5.7 it stucked during booting linux same as in virtualbox.

bjm

Post by bjm »

Could it be because Gargoyle doesn't have drivers for the NIC. Maybe try the other VM NIC types?

Also, I've got OpenWRT (12.09 beta) running in a VM (VMWare...but same same) but I don't know how to load Gargoyle? Are you simply using the OpenWRT interface to load a Gargoyle firmware (bin) If so which one? Or are there packages you can load?

I'm guessing I'm not looking in the right area's :P But I've really tried :(

I'm happy to use Backfire if I need to....just have no idea how to load Gargoyle :P

EDIT: Ok I found were I was going wrong. I forgot about the drop down boxes in the download screen (was a big facepalm moment)

EDIT EDIT: Ok so I tried 1.5.7 but that failed. Gave me some error about my CPU not having 3d NOW. I think that's an option for Virtual Box (which I'm not using) so I installed 1.4.7 and that worked like a charm, except I now also have the issue of only having the loop back when I do a ifconfig. Unfortunaly I'm only using VMPlayer atm (I'm at work) so I can't config that atm.

luniq

Post by luniq »

Looking around the net, the issue is missing driver.
I am using this tutorial to install in vmware
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doku.php?id=old ... mwarehowto
got the same problem, even after installing kmod e1000 and pcnet32 that are supposed to be the driver for the network interface.

update : i have tried running openwrt built for vmware and it ran without problem. I tried removing kmod e1000 and after reboot i got the same ifconfig output like with gargoyle. Then i reinstalled the driver and reboot, and ifconfig showed proper settings.
another thing, openwrt showed more stuff during installation of the driver while with gargoyle only 2 lines.

update2 : i give up... :cry: it seems like more than just the installation of the driver going to fix this. I have tried on 1.5.5 and 1.5.6 with 3 different kmod-e1000 drivers but couldnt fix anything. I really wanted this to work because of gargoyle qos capabilities and my wndr3700 couldnt handle 100mbs with qos on.

bjm

Post by bjm »

I believe it would be a combination of the drivers and the configuration of them. Is the eth01 device coming up at all? I was trying to compare the Gargoyle configuration to OpenWRT running in a VM yesterday. Has the device been assigned an IRQ? It will likely also need some configuration, perhaps manually. (I'm a noob with this myself so I don't even know how to install/remove drivers in linux)

I was thinking that we'd have to build the image from source but include the drivers in them.

luniq

Post by luniq »

anybody that wants to use their pc a router might want to look in here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ro ... tributions
most of them are free and developed for x86 platform. i am trying right now clearos and running it in virtualbox.

edit : pfSense is the one to get. Everything can be configured within the interface and there are a lot of tools and packages in it. Not trying to advertise or anything just informing alternative to gargoyle for anyone that couldnt get gargoyle working with their pc.

bjm

Post by bjm »

I believe we're trying to get the VM's running because we want to test a few things before pushing it onto our hardware devices.