Version 1.5.7 -- OpenWRT "Attitude Adjustment"

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

Eric
Site Admin

Version 1.5.7 -- OpenWRT "Attitude Adjustment"

Post by Eric »

WARNING! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PRESERVE SETTINGS WHEN UPGRADING FROM VERSIONS 1.5.6 AND EARLIER

Gargoyle 1.5.7 moves to the newer "Attitude Adjustment" branch of OpenWRT. This includes newer wireless drivers, and support for many newer models of routers. However, the old settings are not compatible. Anyone who does try to preserve settings between the versions or restore from a backup from an older version will likely run into serious problems. You have been warned.

Also, while most of the core functionality has been tested, this release is more likely to have bugs, due to the significant underlying changes in OpenWRT. So, if you need something extra-stable this really isn't the release to try. (Neither is any on the Experimental branch, but this one is probably more problematic than most). Please do report all bugs in this thread or in the appropriate troubleshooting forums.

That's the bad news. The good news is that a bunch of new hardware is now supported (checkout the download page). Also, If you're having wireless troubles, it may be worth upgrading, as this release contains much newer versions of the wireless drivers.

Finally, the download page has been updated to display the newer Atheros-based router firmware images by default. The Broadcom firmware images (and others) are still there, of course, but since the newer Atheros routers are the best supported, these are now the default.

New in 1.5.7:
  • Underlying OpenWRT upgraded to newer "Attitude Adjustment" Branch
  • Significantly improved hardware support
  • Fix handling of direction property of OpenVPN tls-auth
  • Allow building of only one profile for a given architecture by running e.g. "make ar71xx.usb_large" to build usb_large profile instead of all ar71xx profiles

DoesItMatter

Re: Version 1.5.7 -- OpenWRT "Attitude Adjustment"

Post by DoesItMatter »

Flashed to my DIR-601

Testing now

#1 thing I notice - the GUI interface is FAST!

Much faster than previous Gargoyle builds.

Scanning in Client mode is VERY quick as well and solid connection
so far. Need to do some continuous testing but it's looking awesome.

Client mode connection seems smooth and fast as well, no hiccups
so far - in 1.5.6, I would get dropped connections within 24 hours.

I've been building my own OpenWRT images and the Attitude
Adjustment branch wireless drivers are very solid.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

Tank_Killer

Post by Tank_Killer »

Solid job, thanks for the quick realease after attitude adjustment!

yc3948

Post by yc3948 »

OpenVPN bugs fixed?
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2 DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (10/31/11) std
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH Gargoyle 1.5.9+1f082daf
Linksys WRT54GL Gargoyle 1.4.4
TP-Link TL-WR1043ND Gargoyle 1.5.9+1f082daf

lceron80

Post by lceron80 »

im dying to flash my wzr-hp-g300nh2. any instructions on how to do it?

ps updated all 2 wndr3700v1 and upgrade went smoothly...
1x wndr3700v4 exp. 1.9.x
1x wndr3800 exp. 1.9.x
1x wndr4300v1 exp. 1.9.x
1x wndrmacv2 exp. 1.9.x

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

1) Have you looked or able to reproduce the QoS configuration page bugs I reported in the other thread?

2) Did you check and test that the web interface can "upgrade" the firmware? because I can't use the web interface to upgrade. This is going to cause a lot of headache for users who can't use tftp to re-flash the router.. (I was expecting this to be fixed before you release this new version.... btw, 1.5.6 have exactly the same problem. This is true on my rt305x routers.)

These are the main problems I am having on this new version...
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

yc3948

Post by yc3948 »

yc3948

Post by yc3948 »

If you still with factory FW flash this
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/download ... actory.bin

if you flashed OpenWRT use this to flash your router
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/download ... pgrade.bin
lceron80 wrote:im dying to flash my wzr-hp-g300nh2. any instructions on how to do it?

ps updated all 2 wndr3700v1 and upgrade went smoothly...

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

ericwong: Oooops.... you're right about the sysupgrade problem (your listed problem #2). That's a MAJOR problem. I've found the issue and have committed a fix.

However, this is a big enough issue that I'm going to rebuild with the fix now, and swap in the new binaries for the 1.5.7 release. I rarely would do something like this, but (1) this is a big issue (2) a release takes up almost a GB of storage space, so I'd rather not do another release and have an extra GB sitting on my server for a one line fix. We'll be able to tell the affected firmware because they will indicate being built on September 19th instead of September 20th.

I'm building the new firmware now, though it will take 5-6 hours to do the new build. I will post here when the new build is done and uploaded.

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

Eric wrote:ericwong: Oooops.... you're right about the sysupgrade problem (your listed problem #2). That's a MAJOR problem. I've found the issue and have committed a fix.

However, this is a big enough issue that I'm going to rebuild with the fix now, and swap in the new binaries for the 1.5.7 release. I rarely would do something like this, but (1) this is a big issue (2) a release takes up almost a GB of storage space, so I'd rather not do another release and have an extra GB sitting on my server for a one line fix. We'll be able to tell the affected firmware because they will indicate being built on September 19th instead of September 20th.

I'm building the new firmware now, though it will take 5-6 hours to do the new build. I will post here when the new build is done and uploaded.
If I were you, I would delete all the 1.5.7 from the server NOW to save someone installing a version which they won't be able to change the firmware via the web interface later... and then unable to fix the problem because they don't have serial access to the router.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.