Connectivity issue with TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Grendel99

Re: Connectivity issue with TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Post by Grendel99 »

Hi Eric, I've checked the status page in Gargoyle. It shows nothing in the WAN IP Address, WAN Netmask and WAN Gateway IP. Does this mean a problem with the modem or router?

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

Grendel99 wrote:Hi Eric, I've checked the status page in Gargoyle. It shows nothing in the WAN IP Address, WAN Netmask and WAN Gateway IP. Does this mean a problem with the modem or router?
This means the gargoyle router is not having internet access. This explains why you can't get internet access on any devices connected to it!!

Can't tell exactly where the problem is without more information.. This only means the gargoyle router is not configured to connected to your modem correctly.. Problem could be on both your modem and gargoyle router.

Firstly, can you tell me how you connect your Gargoyle router to the modem? Did you connect using the WAN port from the Gargoyle router to the modem?

Using the same ethernet cable you connect from the modem to the Gargoyle router, if you connect your computer to this cable still using same port from the modem, can your computer access the internet? If you can, then your gargoyle router should have internet access if it is connected via WAN port. If not, there is a problem on the gargoyle settings, assuming there is no hardware issues.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

Grendel99

Post by Grendel99 »

Yes, I did connect using the WAN port. I connected the modem to my PC and was able to connect to the internet ok. But what I have discovered is when I connect my modem to the router in standard mode (not bridged) and I check the status page of Gargoyle it now has a WAN IP Address, WAN Netmask and WAN Gateway IP, but I still can't connect to the internet. I might give the tech people at D-Link a call and see if they can help, perhaps it has something to do with the modem setting? Anyway, I really appreciate all your efforts. If you have any further suggestions please let me know.

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

Grendel99 wrote:Yes, I did connect using the WAN port. I connected the modem to my PC and was able to connect to the internet ok. But what I have discovered is when I connect my modem to the router in standard mode (not bridged) and I check the status page of Gargoyle it now has a WAN IP Address, WAN Netmask and WAN Gateway IP, but I still can't connect to the internet.
This means in standard mode, your gargoyle router can access the internet. Try putting in custom DNS at your computer and/or gargoyle router and you should have internet access. If so, that would mean there is a problem with DNS configuration.
Grendel99 wrote: I might give the tech people at D-Link a call and see if they can help, perhaps it has something to do with the modem setting?
I think D-link probably won't be of much help. If you connect the modem directly to your computer and it works. This means the modem is working correctly and D-link probably won't be able to give you any help than making sure this works (i.e. direct computer connection)..
Grendel99 wrote: Anyway, I really appreciate all your efforts. If you have any further suggestions please let me know.
You are welcomed. I know it is very frustrating when it is not working, I have been learning these router configuration stuff in the last few weeks due to my own projects.. So, I know how frustrating it can be..
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

Grendel99

Post by Grendel99 »

Hi, thanks again. I'll try the custom DNS now that I know the router is connected. I assume that I enter it at the Local Network/LAN section on the configuration page?

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

Grendel99 wrote:Hi, thanks again. I'll try the custom DNS now that I know the router is connected. I assume that I enter it at the Local Network/LAN section on the configuration page?
For Gargoyle, see the custom DNS in the screenshot?
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/lib ... ateway.jpg

For Windows, follow this
http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2011/ ... -computer/

In both case, use 8.8.8.8 as custom DNS. This is Google's DNS server.
Try it one by one and you can see which one needs the custom DNS to fix the problem. Preferably, the fix would be on the Gargoyle side, so that any connected devices don't need to enter a custom DNS.
Eric Wong

Grendel99

Post by Grendel99 »

Hello Eric, I would like to say a HUGE thank you to you! My router is working perfectly now. Thank you so much for all your help with this, I really appreciate it. :D

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

Grendel99 wrote:Hello Eric, I would like to say a HUGE thank you to you! My router is working perfectly now. Thank you so much for all your help with this, I really appreciate it. :D
That's good to know. This sort of problem is actually pretty common when you try to use multiple routers on the same network.
Eric Wong