A question

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

heuristic

A question

Post by heuristic »

Hey everyone, its been ages since I last logged in, or even upgraded my firmware.... time flies. :shock:

I have a question which is not answered as far as I can tell in the documentation... is there any way to have the client router to a host router also act as a wireless repeater? (Client +AP mode).

I can currently connect wired connections to my downstairs router, it is connected wireless to the one upstairs. I want to continue that way but also have wireless devices downstairs access the downstairs access point via its wireless radio.

I have two WRT54GLs set up to do this, but I think I am getting confused between the various modes.

Thx 8-)

heuristic

Re: A question

Post by heuristic »

I am starting to understand this after reading more carefully, currently I am using client mode, wheras what I am asking for is AP mode...

I think.....

heuristic

Post by heuristic »

Well, back again. I cannot get AP +WDS to work.... need some help! When I choose DHCP IWireless) I do not have the Client +AP option below, only cient.

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

heuristic wrote:Hey everyone, its been ages since I last logged in, or even upgraded my firmware.... time flies. :shock:

I have a question which is not answered as far as I can tell in the documentation... is there any way to have the client router to a host router also act as a wireless repeater? (Client +AP mode).

I can currently connect wired connections to my downstairs router, it is connected wireless to the one upstairs. I want to continue that way but also have wireless devices downstairs access the downstairs access point via its wireless radio.

I have two WRT54GLs set up to do this, but I think I am getting confused between the various modes.

Thx 8-)
Seems pretty quiet here.. I was trying to help but no idea what you are trying to say...
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

heuristic

Post by heuristic »

Hi Eric!

Here's what I want....

Upstairs... WRT54GL as gateway to internet (DHCP Wired), wireless distribution to that floor of the house.

Downstairs, WRT54GL - I want this to act as a client to the upstairs router AND distribute wireless in a new SSID downstairs, plus allow wired connections downstairs.

I was under the impression the AP+WDS might do this, but in the example in the documentation, it seems that you must place the router in DHCP Wireless mode, when I do that, I cannot choose WDS...

Is this clearer?

Slacker

Post by Slacker »

heuristic wrote:Well, back again. I cannot get AP +WDS to work.... need some help! When I choose DHCP IWireless) I do not have the Client +AP option below, only cient.
I have no experience with WDS, but it seems to me that you need to address the lack of client+AP and see if that works. I'm on a 1043 and have used client+AP in 1.4.7 and 1.5.5.

If it's not a hardware limitation, perhaps there's an underlying flashing issue?

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

heuristic wrote: Upstairs... WRT54GL as gateway to internet (DHCP Wired), wireless distribution to that floor of the house.
I guess you know what to do for this..
heuristic wrote: Downstairs, WRT54GL - I want this to act as a client to the upstairs router AND distribute wireless in a new SSID downstairs, plus allow wired connections downstairs.

I was under the impression the AP+WDS might do this, but in the example in the documentation, it seems that you must place the router in DHCP Wireless mode, when I do that, I cannot choose WDS...
Well, since your router is Broadcom chip based.
Try to follow this and you might get it done.
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/broadcomwds

I have no experience using WDS either.

Good luck.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.