flash openwtr to WR741ND V4.3

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

john liv

flash openwtr to WR741ND V4.3

Post by john liv »

after flash this model openwrt yn succefully but 192.168.1.1 is not aviable help, how i Can reset this router for flash openwrt good for this model ?? :cry:

DoesItMatter

Re: flash openwtr to WR741ND V4.3

Post by DoesItMatter »

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr741nd

What version of OpenWRT did you flash?

Looks like only the newer Trunk builds are supported

NOT Backfire - don't flash Backfire on 741ND 4.3 yet

If you have done this - you will have to follow the webpage above
and probably do the serial recovery
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

john liv

Post by john liv »

DoesItMatter wrote:http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr741nd

What version of OpenWRT did you flash?

Looks like only the newer Trunk builds are supported

NOT Backfire - don't flash Backfire on 741ND 4.3 yet

If you have done this - you will have to follow the webpage above
and probably do the serial recovery

Hello, This flash openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr741nd-v4-squashfs-sysupgrade have now my router but I dont acces to 192.168.1.1 :cry:

Richard Adams

Post by Richard Adams »

I got a new WR741ND - still OEM firmware

On the retail box outside it does say ver 4.3, also has ver 4.3 on the bottom case label of the unit.

In the web access, it reports
Firmware Version: 3.12.11 Build 110825 Rel.38276n
Hardware Version: WR741N v4 00000000

The firmware build seems to correspond to a date of 25 August 2011.

I wonder why the Hardware says "WR741N" with no "D" on the end.

My attempt to install Gargoyle 1.4.7 from the web access menu gives the error message, "Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect. Please check the file name."

On the openwrt page linked above, it mentions changing file names to trick the upgrade filter, but since the prior poster in this thread reported an apparent bricked unit, I thought I'd ask before bricking my unit.

The information at the openwrt page seems inconsistent since they mention a r31249, but the downloads do not have a version number except v4. Maybe this is why it bricked.

The openwrt page says some models for chinese market have 2mb flash and 16mb ram. I do not have a chinese one, but this seems to be a possible intrusion. The OEM firmware upgrade .bin file size is 3969KB so its probably still 4mb flash.

I really don't want to install openwrt unless that is a step along the way to get gargoyle firmware into the unit.

Is gargoyle known to work on this version, or do I need a different version / model? If it works, which install procedure to use? Can I simply rename the file to trick the OEM firmware's filter?

Which hardware version of WR741ND are you selling in your store?

Thanks for considering my questions.

Richard Adams

Post by Richard Adams »

Answering my own question:

Renaming the file didn't make the router accept it for OEM install of gargoyle via web interface. (nothing was changed, no firmware installed)

The Gargoyle-router store WR741ND description says the ones they sell are hardware version 1.9. (A supported hardware version, not in inventory at any other retail store I checked)

Upon checking the openwrt images / changelog, these are changing often. There is trunk for rev 4.3 of the 741ND, but no backfire, so I interpret that to mean that there is no gargoyle compatibility yet unless you build source and compile your own as others have done for numerous other projects. Progress in the developer forum here for backfire for the current "trunk only" hardware seems slow, but I am not privy to that actual rate of progress.

I speculate that if gargoyle-router store runs out of their inventory of version 1.9 units, progress could be more visible.

When openwrt - trunk is installed, don't expect any http access. Try to ping the WR741ND at 192.168.1.1. If it pings, it may not be bricked, and serial interface not yet needed, but then gargoyle isn't in it yet either.

I didn't try openwrt since I wanted something that was already working, or for which support was more likley and it's easy to order from the gargoyle-store, though a few $$ more than buying a router and trying to install firmware that may not work since the new ones in inventory everywhere are not yet supported. The closest one was the WR841ND. which others did get working.

Hopefully I'll get my order promptly.

unevox

Post by unevox »

your router is not dead

if you installed any version of openwrt trunk, do the following
connect the network cable from the router that provides you internet to the WAN on port Tl-wr741
enters telnet to the address 192.168.1.1, no password will ask
and give you a root console

Code: Select all

root @ OpenWrt: ~ # opkg update
   root @ OpenWrt: ~ # opkg install luci
   root @ OpenWrt: ~ # / etc / init.d / enable uhttpd
   root @ OpenWrt: ~ # / etc / init.d / start uhttpd
   root @ OpenWrt: ~ # reboot
expect to restart the router, and you will have access to Webif LUCI

openwrt trunk only has support for this device V4.3 = V4.x, I tried to add gargoyle to the trunk but I get good results, perhaps the kernel version of the trunk while walking in 3.xx backfire (gargoyle ) its kernel is 2.xx

Greetings!