QoS Setup

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

pmerrill

QoS Setup

Post by pmerrill »

I'm a bit confused about the best QoS Setup on Gargoyle 1.4.7. For my upload QoS I've specified what's attached.

My VoIP box is located at 192.168.1.106.

What I think I need to do is prioritise traffic so that all traffic from source: 192.168.1.106 going out to the internet needs to be set to VoIP.

In addition, in the QoS Download, I assume that I also need to set a corresponding rule that says all traffic destined for destination (rather than source) 192.168.1.106 also needs to be set to VoIP.

Is that correct?

I also note that there is an Application (Layer 7) Protocol that has a setting VoIP Audio. Is this a better approach to setting QoS?

Would it be better to set Application (Layer 7) Protocol to VoIP Audio for QoS Upload and QoS Download and remove the other rules? In that way, any VoIP packets coming from the Internet or on the LAN would be prioritised?
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (35.2 KiB) Viewed 4455 times
Paul
Gargoyle 1.11.x on TP-Link Archer C7 V2 H/W

pbix
Developer

Re: QoS Setup

Post by pbix »

You are correct about the source/destination part and forget about L7 classification. It does not work really and probably should be deleted from Gargoyle.

You can test your setup by making a call from your phone and watching the load on the classes. Make sure you min bandwidth setting is higher than what you see being used and enable the ACC.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

pmerrill

Re: QoS Setup

Post by pmerrill »

Surprisingly, I checked the router operation during a VoIP called (with the Lvl 7 setting enabled). It worked fine, I could see the RTP packets being prioritised first, so perhaps it does work???
Paul
Gargoyle 1.11.x on TP-Link Archer C7 V2 H/W