Sucessfully installed Gargoyle on a Comtrend CT-5361

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Blue Ion

Sucessfully installed Gargoyle on a Comtrend CT-5361

Post by Blue Ion »

I wanted to have a router that acted as Client so I could keep having everything within the same subnetwork and accessible.
Only Gargoyle had this set up out of the box, heck even OpenWRT wiki mentions it as a solution, so I had to try it.

Well, after an hour or so compiling I've managed to create a compatible image for this router.

This router is not even in the supported chipset list of Gargoyle (it is a brcm63xx) but it is perfectly supported by OpenWRT as its page shows.
All I had to do is make a copy of the build target for the brcm47xx, change the chipsets and cpu arch and hit make (removed a couple of packages while at it).

My computer is normally connected with a USB adapter, but I'm going to keep my computer and laptop connected to it so I can test it .

If you need any information about the router or my setup just ask. At first look, everything seems to work flawlessly.

cotarelo

Re: Sucessfully installed Gargoyle on a Comtrend CT-5361

Post by cotarelo »

Good job man :-)

Is it still working? Could you send me a copy so I cam install it on my comtrend?

I am interested to know if the wireless bridge works also... it would be great

cjrivsua

Post by cjrivsua »

Hello, I have 2 wireless routers Comtrend: CT-5361(HG536+) and CT-536+.

And I have installed this Open-WRT firmware: openwrt-96348GW-11-jffs2-64k-bc300-cfe.bin from this repository: http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/1 ... /brcm63xx/

Anybody can help me for installing Gargoyle v1.5.1 over these wireless routers please?. Thank you very much. :roll:

Blue Ion

Post by Blue Ion »

Wow, several months later...

I recall that it wasn’t perfect: multiple ssid or receiving and emitting has never worked. That is, you can choose the option but the second you press apply it disappears and nothing else happens.
Also regulatory domains get completely ignored (I can choose channel 14) but that is more of a feature, especially since I’m in Spain and most routers restrict by default to the US domain.

I'm not at home right now, but even if I were I don't know if I would find the firmware files that I used for that. I could try to recompile everything with a newer version, but I will have to setup all the dependencies again (not hard, just…, lengthy).
I may have the firmware somewhere in one computer (I’ve been cleaning stuff from them, so I may have “accidentally cleaned them) but I give no guarantee of that.

Besides, recompiling the firmware is not that hard. Openwrt has a supernice gui for that which you can use to strip components, add components and lastly choose the architecture you want to build for, so in reality Gargoyle should be compatible with a wider range of router, as many as Openwrt, but I guess Eric would like to release minimally tested versions only.

If you are willing to wait I may give it a try to recompile a new firmware...

cjrivsua

Re: Sucessfully installed Gargoyle on a Comtrend CT-5361/CT-

Post by cjrivsua »

Hello, I have 2 wireless routers Comtrend: CT-5361(HG536+) and CT-536+.

Sucessfully installed Gargoyle v1.3 from "Succo" :P (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M5UGW1M3)

But client+AP is not supported in this old version.

cotarelo

Post by cotarelo »

Nice FBI logo :)

Could you upload it again?

Anybody knows which firmware can support Wireless bridge (Wireless Client+AP)

Cheers!

jar229

Post by jar229 »

cotarelo wrote: Could you upload it again?
http://www.mediafire.com/?7u9drcg71mbc0dh ;)

cotarelo

Post by cotarelo »

Thanks! :) I will install it right away...

The other file to flash the router I suppose I can download it from the download section right?

From OpenWRT to Gargolye will the web interface from luci Work? Or should I use redboot or something like this.

hnl_dk

Post by hnl_dk »

cotarelo wrote:...
From OpenWRT to Gargolye will the web interface from luci Work? Or should I use redboot or something like this.
Gargoyle uses its own webinterface.
Router: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4
AP: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4

cotarelo

Post by cotarelo »

So, what method should I use to flash the firmware? What is the easiest? Can I use FonFlash?

Thanks!