Installed Gargoyle and can't get into the router...

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

slimshady

Installed Gargoyle and can't get into the router...

Post by slimshady »

Hi guys, this is my first experience with Gargoyle. I've installed version gargoyle_1.5.1-ar71xx-tl-mr3420-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin over a TP-Link MR3420 V1. I first installed OpenWRT and then performed a sysupgrade to get Gargoyle running. Now when I tried to log in for the first time, the system won't let me. I've issued the default password, but the system still says "invalid password".

The router came back after its first reboot without the Telnet access (just the SSH and web ones) as if some parameters have been set...

I've tried the method mentioned in the forum to get a Telnet session, but when I boot the router and press the QSS button for 60 seconds nothing happens. Just to make things clear here: I have to keep the QSS button pressed for 60 seconds from the moment the "SYS" LED starts to blink, right? If that's the case, it isn't working...

Please help me, I need to get WiFi running again!

pbix
Developer

Re: Installed Gargoyle and can't get into the router...

Post by pbix »

If you can get ssh access and type "firstboot" from the command line you should then be able to use the default password 'password' to access your web pages.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I've tried the method mentioned in the forum to get a Telnet session, but when I boot the router and press the QSS button for 60 seconds nothing happens. Just to make things clear here: I have to keep the QSS button pressed for 60 seconds from the moment the "SYS" LED starts to blink, right? If that's the case, it isn't working...
I have found this no longer works with the 1.5.x series firmware

Try the reset button on the back instead, that worked for me

slimshady

Post by slimshady »

ispyisail wrote:
I have found this no longer works with the 1.5.x series firmware

Try the reset button on the back instead, that worked for me
Forgot to mention I tried the reset button too. No luck. I'll try the SSH trick and report back.

slimshady

Post by slimshady »

pbix wrote:If you can get ssh access and type "firstboot" from the command line you should then be able to use the default password 'password' to access your web pages.
That's the thing, I can't get in in any way. If I try SSH with login "root" and password "password", the system won't let me in.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

I know you said you tried the reset buttom method but did you follow the instructions http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/dok ... e_recovery to enter failsafe recovery mode? If so what part is not working.

If you cannot enter failsafe recovery mode then the next thing to try is to TFTP a new image to your routers boot loader. The bootloader is active for only a brief period after power on. During that short window it will accept a new .BIN file sent with the TFTP PUT command. You must use the proper .bin file for your router for the bootloader to accept it.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

slimshady

Post by slimshady »

pbix wrote:I know you said you tried the reset buttom method but did you follow the instructions http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/dok ... e_recovery to enter failsafe recovery mode? If so what part is not working.

If you cannot enter failsafe recovery mode then the next thing to try is to TFTP a new image to your routers boot loader. The bootloader is active for only a brief period after power on. During that short window it will accept a new .BIN file sent with the TFTP PUT command. You must use the proper .bin file for your router for the bootloader to accept it.
Looks like the damn thing won't enter failsafe mode. I've been trying to get it into that mode for over three hours. Pressing the RESET button in the back as soon as I see the first network packet for three seconds do nothing to the router. It just keeps its regular boot sequence and never opens the Telnet port. It never gets stuck with the power LED flashing.

I'll try the TFTP method next and report back

Again, thanks for the help!

slimshady

Post by slimshady »

A quick update: I've installed Wireshark and sniffing the router's packets I can see the broadcast where it asks to press the reset button to enter the failsafe mode. I'm more than sure I am pressing it within the two-second window. Now it looks like the router isn't paying attention to the reset button. I have even tried to push the QSS button, both at the same time, etc without success.

The funny thing is that I'm browsing through the router, since it connects to the Internet and gives me an IP address. Everything is working as expected, with the exception of the WiFi (which I know it's disabled by default) and the ability to log into the router...

I wonder why did it skip the firstboot sequence the very first time it rebooted...

hnl_dk

Post by hnl_dk »

slimshady wrote:...
The funny thing is that I'm browsing through the router, since it connects to the Internet and gives me an IP address. Everything is working as expected, with the exception of the WiFi (which I know it's disabled by default) and the ability to log into the router...

I wonder why did it skip the firstboot sequence the very first time it rebooted...
I guess you are using NOD32 as your security package?
Try to disable it, and try to log into the router (and set it up).
Afterwards, you are able to disable the routers website from NOD32.
Router: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4
AP: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4