Sucessfully installed Gargoyle on a Comtrend CT-5361

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Blue Ion

Re: Sucessfully installed Gargoyle on a Comtrend CT-5361

Post by Blue Ion »

Replies in this thread seem to be regulated by leap years.

Anyways, I finally got my lazy ass to reinstall a linux distribution and to remember to do the process again.

I have rebuilt the brcm63xx branch in case someone with a compatible router appears here as well.
Also I have attached the profile files that I used to generate the firmware in case any of you need to rebuild everything again, or build a with a new gargoyle version. Just place the brcm63xx folder inside the target folder alongside the rest, and execute full-build.sh.
It should rebuild all the targets inside the folder and place the brcm63xx at /gargoyle/brcm63xx-src/bin/brcm63xx

Additionally you may specify to full-build.sh what targets you want to build or just erase everything except the brcm63xx folder.

Mediafire: Gargoyle git (as of 26/03/2012)
Mediafire: Gargoyle 1.5.4
Mediafire: Gargoyle 1.4.7
Mediafire: Profile

For differenent targets get the config file from the appropiate OpenWRT version from (in our case) here http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/1 ... 3xx/config
And try to modify them so the have the new target with the old packages.

cotarelo wrote:So, what method should I use to flash the firmware? What is the easiest? Can I use FonFlash?

Thanks!
Unfortunately you can’t use Fonflash, but flashing the Comtrend CT5361 or CT536+ is dead simple still.

EDIT: Pick the "openwrt-96348GW-generic-squashfs-cfe.bin" file for both routers.

Press the reset button on the router and turn it on while pressing the button.
After 10 seconds or so pressing the reset button the power light will turn off but the router will remain on, you will notice this because the Ethernet lights will remain on if you have a cable attached.
After that, you may let go the reset button.
Open the browser on the 192.168.1.1 page. I think there is no DHCP server on at that time so you will have to manually set your ip to something like 192.168.1.2
The flashing interface there should be self-explanatory. An other good thing of the interface is that it should be protected against wrong flashes.

A word of advice about the firmware, it seems to take A LOT of time to boot the first time and I have managed to render it unusable after messing around. Perhaps is slow like that, or that it barely has any space left.

Code: Select all

root@CT5361-Telefonica:~# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 2.3M      2.3M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                     6.6M    164.0K      6.5M   2% /tmp
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev
/dev/mtdblock3          832.0K    244.0K    588.0K  29% /overlay
mini_fo:/overlay          2.3M      2.3M         0 100% /
Cheers

cotarelo

Re: Sucessfully installed Gargoyle on a Comtrend CT-5361

Post by cotarelo »

some months passed yey ! :)

I am wondering if the client bridge or wireless bridge is working in the CT. That'd be the only reason for me to switch from openwrt to Gargoyle

Thank you in advance.!