TL-WR941ND Version Mismatch

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

TOHSNBN

TL-WR941ND Version Mismatch

Post by TOHSNBN »

Hello!
In my new place i can not run a wire from my router and have to use Wifi to get a internet connection from the router to my Desktop.
I am using a USB Stick for the past weeks, it barely works.

Until a few days ago i thought that is the way it is because i dont want to buy a repeater but then i remembered i got a "TP Link TL-WR941ND" that noone needs annymore back home.

I flashed "gargoyle_1.6.2-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr941nd-v3-squashfs-factory" onto it and set it up as a "client bridge".
That whole process was everything but pain free, there were a few odd problems.

During the write up of these problems i noticed something:
gargoyle-version.jpg
gargoyle-version.jpg (19.16 KiB) Viewed 8273 times
But i am absolutely certain that the firmware i flashed is this:
"gargoyle_1.6.2-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr941nd-v3-squashfs-factory"

And that is what it says on the back of the router:
tpversion.jpg
tpversion.jpg (43.46 KiB) Viewed 8273 times
Could that be the cause of the problems i am having?

Greetings,
Peter

ericwong

Re: TL-WR941ND Version Mismatch

Post by ericwong »

Your label says version 3.2 but your ROM isn't.
I think you used the wrong ROM but the good news is you didn't brick it.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

TOHSNBN

Post by TOHSNBN »

ericwong wrote:Your label says version 3.2 but your ROM isn't.
I think you used the wrong ROM
That is allways a possibility, yes.
But i am 100% certain that i used this file to flash the router:
"gargoyle_1.6.2-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr941nd-v3-squashfs-factory.bin"

To be shure i checked the file i downloadet, is was the V3.
Then i downloadet the V3 file again and flashed it.
But it still says "V2" like in the screenshot above.

Greetings,
Peter

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

TOHSNBN wrote: But i am 100% certain that i used this file to flash the router:
"gargoyle_1.6.2-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr941nd-v3-squashfs-factory.bin"

To be shure i checked the file i downloadet, is was the V3.
Then i downloadet the V3 file again and flashed it.
But it still says "V2" like in the screenshot above.
In any case, I still don't understand what your problem is.. it is not very clear. Gargoyle is obviously working..
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

TOHSNBN

Post by TOHSNBN »

When the wireless module is enabled and i connect to the router either by ssh or the webinterface it freezes.
After it resumes working the wifi routing is no longer working and it needs to be power cycled.

DHCP through the Bridge is not working either for some odd reason.

During the setup i thought the bridge was not working, by a fluke i discovered that i works as intendet as long as i power cylcle the router and dont touch it again after the initial setup.

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

I suggest you try an older version of Gargoyle, e.g. 1.6.1. if that didn't work, keep going down one by one for a few more version. Make sure you do NOT keep settings as this may brick the router, depending which version you are downgrading to.

Sounds like a router specific issue. Or search the forum for someone using exactly the same model and Gargoyle ROM and see what their experience is or ask them.
Eric Wong

TOHSNBN

Post by TOHSNBN »

Hello and thanks for your Reply!
ericwong wrote: Sounds like a router specific issue. Or search the forum for someone using exactly the same model and Gargoyle ROM and see what their experience is or ask them.
That was the reason i decidet to install Gargoyle, because i found several posts who mentioned that i would work :)

Before flashing a older firmware Version i wanted to ask if that was a known issue because i could not find anny reference to the problem i was having.

Yesterday i flashed an old Version and the bridge has been working without a problem for the past 24h.
The DHCP still does not function but the wifi bridge is stable, that has to suffice for now.

Greetings,
Peter

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

TOHSNBN wrote: The DHCP still does not function but the wifi bridge is stable, that has to suffice for now.
Your DHCP problem is most likely incorrect software configuration.

Configuration for WIFI bridge can be somewhat complicated... read this and try to work it out yourself ;)
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/clientmode
Eric Wong

1043_941_841ND

Post by 1043_941_841ND »

I know this is an old post but I have a similar issue when flashing any gargoyle 941 version3 Garg firmware but the gui always shows V2 on my machine. I have the exact same V3.2 as in this post. I reinstall and redownload the V3941nd from this site couple of time and it is still having the same result. The only stable version I could use is 1.6.0 and anything above it, the wifi becomes unstable or not usable.

On 1.9.0, the auto ip asign function does not work and I need to manually change my network card to any static ip then able to access 192.168.1.1 which I never have issue with 1.6.0-1.6.2. After log in I also encounter issue for repeater mode and connecting my host wifi and I can never get N+G+B to work, it will always stay G+B only after saving the configuration.

Anyone encounter this issue? I might have to open the router and check the actual hardware to confirm?

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

1043_941_841ND wrote:I know this is an old post but I have a similar issue when flashing any gargoyle 941 version3 Garg firmware but the gui always shows V2 on my machine. I have the exact same V3.2 as in this post. I reinstall and redownload the V3941nd from this site couple of time and it is still having the same result. The only stable version I could use is 1.6.0 and anything above it, the wifi becomes unstable or not usable.
Also try looking up your router on Openwrt wiki or forum for useful information.
Eric Wong