redo make custom

Discuss the technical details of Gargoyle and ongoing development

Moderator: Moderators

twinclouds

redo make custom

Post by twinclouds »

I downloaded and flashed gargoyle and like it. The problem was that I cannot add a new kernel package because the incompatibility of the kernel (Is there a way to solve this problem?) so I made a custom build. After I loaded the .bin file and verified it worked, I want to add one more kernel function. I went to custom-src directory and did "make menuconfig" to set the packages that I want to use. What should I do next? I did "make custom" again the the gargoyle directory but I found the config file that I set with "make menuconfig" got reset. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

twinclouds

Re: redo make custom

Post by twinclouds »

I think I solved my own problem, but further verification will be appreciated. The problem was, when do "make custom" in the Gargoyle directory again after did make menuconfig in the custom-src directory, the .config generated by menucondig was overwritten. Thus the in order to use the .config file in the custom-src directory, we need to prevent the overwriting. I tried two methods to prevent the overwriting. First one is to make the custom-src/.config read-only. I simply did "chmod 444 .config" in the custom-src directory. When compile, it shows that the file cannot be overwritten but goes on to make the compilation anyway. The second method is comment out the line: 'cp "targets_dir/$target/profiles/$default_profile/config" "top_dir/${target}-src/.config"' (Line 327 or around).
Both methods seemed working. The command "make custom" will simply take the .config file generated by menuconfig to generate the desired image and packages.
I tried both methods and they worked for me. No sure if there will be any side effects or not.

BashfulBladder

Re: redo make custom

Post by BashfulBladder »

Or after make menuconfig, you just copy the hidden .config file to your new gargoyle/targets/ar71xx/profiles/NEWConfig folder, copy the desired profile_images over & use 'make V=99 ar71xx.NEWConfig'.
TP-Link WDR3600 v1.1 running 1.5.10+ L10n-English (Built 20130922 - OpenWrt r38093)
TP-Link WDR4300 running 1.5.10+ i18n-English (Built 20131010 - OpenWrt r38286)

https://github.com/BashfulBladder/gargoyle-plugins/wiki