Restrictions Rules since 1.3.10

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

1an

Restrictions Rules since 1.3.10

Post by 1an »

Just wondering, has there been a change in the way restrictions work in 1.3.10 and 1.3.11, as compared to previous versions?

I have a few rules set under restrictions to restrict ip ranges and one MAC address (no internet access after bedtime kids!). These have worked well in previous Gargoyle versions without anything in the whitelist, but it seems that with 1.3.10 and 1.3.11 (possibly, not specifically tested) that the rest of the ip ranges now have to be specifically allowed in the whitelist, otherwise they lose network access as well ....

Not sure if this is a design change or a bug. Also haven't yet tested with 1.3.11 (currently running 1.3.10 on my wzr-hp-g300nh after reports of unexpected rebooting with latest version)

@pbix: I wonder if my previous problems connecting to WAN were related to this. Tonight is the first time I have happened to be at a computer not on the restricted list when the restricted time started, and noticed the loss of connectivity. Adding a whitelist for the non-restricted devices fixed things.

Ian
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH = Gargoyle 1.5.3
Linksys WRT54GL v1.2 = Gargoyle 1.3.13
SMC Barricade SMC2804WBRP-G = SMC firmware v2.08

pbix
Developer

Re: Restrictions Rules since 1.3.10

Post by pbix »

I am not aware of any changes in this area but maybe Eric will comment if he knows of any.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

tauki63

Post by tauki63 »

hi,
I have the same router but 1.3.10 and 1.3.11 doesn't work with wireless. I could see two types of drop down for wireless channels which is 5g and after you enable wireless the normal 2.4 channel list appears . However, both are empty and the wireless is not broadcasting. How come you could use wireless in 1.3.10.

Do you also have dropouts with this router?

I am currently using 1.3.6 and had some dropouts. I think this firmware is by far the most stable version for me as I was having issues with dropouts, and this the least and shortest dropouts.

Could you also please advice on the method which you used to flash this router? It would be very helpful if there is a link which has detailed instruction as I am still new.

Regards,
Tauki

1an

Post by 1an »

tauki63 wrote:hi,
I have the same router but 1.3.10 and 1.3.11 doesn't work with wireless. I could see two types of drop down for wireless channels which is 5g and after you enable wireless the normal 2.4 channel list appears . However, both are empty and the wireless is not broadcasting. How come you could use wireless in 1.3.10.
I suspect that your router is not the same! Looking at the Buffalotech website yours is probably wzr-hp-ag300h (dualband 5GHz + 2.4GHz)
mine is wzr-hp-g300nh (singleband 2.4GHz)
I certainly don't get any 5GHz option on my router, which is why I think yours might be the other model which is dual band
I'm not sure if firmware is compatible or not, which might be your problem. I could not find any posts on the forum relating to success flashing the wzr-hp-ag300h. A quick search on OpenWRT forum suggests that openwrt (on which gargoyle is based) is not currently compatible with this new model.
If your router is in fact a wzr-hp-g300nh I'm not sure why you are getting the 5GHz option, since the router does not have dual band

FWIW, I flashed by transferring firmware gargoyle_1.3.10-ar71xx-wzr-hp-g300nh-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin to /tmp using WinSCP, then SSH to router and upgraded using command recommended by Eric in 1.3.11 thread for broadcom routers ...

Code: Select all

sysupgrade -n /tmp/gargoyle_1.3.10-ar71xx-wzr-hp-g300nh-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
I gather from another thread that DoesItMatter had no problems using the upgrade script from the web interface, but I couldn't get that to work, so used the command line version instead, which did work for me

tauki63

Post by tauki63 »

Hi 1an,

Thanks for the reply but I am quite sure that my model is wzr-hp-g300n because I did detailed research before buying.

here is the link
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Buffalo-WZR- ... 1c136e4a8b

Another reason is that I hae successfully flashed the router with 1.3.6 and it is working fine until now with only a few short dropouts. there is no 5g drop downs.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,
Tauki

1an

Post by 1an »

So much for that idea then! :D

I would suggest the sysupgrade method to flash then, since that is what I used. PM me if you need help with that.
I have also successfully flashed this model with tftp. I used an old router I had lying around as a switch to keep the link up with router turned off. Otherwise the PC sending the file takes longer to bring the link up than the router listens for a tftp request.

Ian
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH = Gargoyle 1.5.3
Linksys WRT54GL v1.2 = Gargoyle 1.3.13
SMC Barricade SMC2804WBRP-G = SMC firmware v2.08