Host Not Found

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

The_Hawk

Host Not Found

Post by The_Hawk »

For some reason every now and again a random site will stop working, just now it was fixya.com. When this happens I get an error saying something along the lines of:

"safari can't open the page "fixya.com" because Safari can't find the server".

Attempted a traceroute or ping:

thunderbolt_ethernet:~ hawk$ traceroute www.fixya.com
traceroute: unknown host www.fixya.com
thunderbolt_ethernet:~ hawk$ ping www.fixya.com
ping: cannot resolve www.fixya.com: Unknown host

All browsers do the same as do all devices connected to my network. The effected site at any point in time is random.

Restarting Gargoyle doesn't fix this.
Restarting the modem however does.

All machines can now access that webpage without having to clear cache or do anything at all.

Modem is a Billion BiPAC 7404VNOX
Router is a D-Link DIR-825 rev. B1, Running 1.6.0

It's like the DNS lookup is cached somewhere and if the system decides something doesn't exist it just won't even try to look it up again.

Does the modem keep some sort of DNS cache rather than looking things up everytime? Does the router keep a cache which it dumps when the modem reconnects or something?

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

kingbeowulf

Re: Host Not Found

Post by kingbeowulf »

Try switching gargoyle to use OpenDNS or similar site for DNS lookups. I have found that some ISPs sometimes have issues properly resolving internate hostnames.

The_Hawk

Re: Host Not Found

Post by The_Hawk »

Switching to open DNS seemed to fail, switching to the google DNS seems to have worked. I hadn't quite gotten to trying different DNS servers yet, thanks for the prompt in the right direction :D