Quota problem using different dhcp for guest network

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

harsini

Quota problem using different dhcp for guest network

Post by harsini »

I try to use Mr Pbix instruction explained here:
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... 8&start=10
To somehow separating guest network from main wireless and wired network.I did that successfully and guest clients get IP address from 192.168.1.128/25 while others get IP from 192.168.1.0/25. I want to limit each client's quota in guest network so I set quota like this:
But it seems there isn't any limitation for guest clients.
Although I have wireless client in guest Network but No quota shown related to it in status:
Can someone help me about that?

majimus

Re: Quota problem using different dhcp for guest network

Post by majimus »

Have you tried setting up and down limits as well, maybe set them to the same as the total?

harsini

Post by harsini »

I found the problem.As it assumed that there is only one subnet for all interfaces so when I use "All Individual Hosts Without Explicit Quota" it wouldn't cover my new created subnet for guest network i.e 192.168.3.0/24
As I have limited number of wireless clients in my Guest Network I could set quota for each IP address in my range for example 40 quota so it covers all the clients in that range.

EDIT-As it took a period of time to get to this point.I forgot that my first post was using a single range of IP instead of double.So I should explain that the solution explained above is for situation where I use a two subnet e.g. 192.168.1.0/24 for lan and 192.168.3.0/24 for guest network.
Last edited by harsini on Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

harsini wrote:I found the problem.
Well done - you have been working on this for a while!

I wonder if you might consider adding a wiki page to the doco that makes your solution easy for others to implement? Perhaps formatted as a common scenario!?

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/dok ... _scenarios
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

majimus

Post by majimus »

I'm using distinct /24 for guest and regular hosts. I can see that the cuota is maintaining stats, however my guests are rate limited (using Qos) so they never hit the quota limit.

When time permits I will check and see what happen when they meet the limit.
harsini wrote:I found the problem.As it assumed that there is only one subnet for all interfaces so when I use "All Individual Hosts Without Explicit Quota" it wouldn't cover my new created subnet for guest network i.e 192.168.3.0/24
As I have limited number of wireless clients in my Guest Network I could set quota for each IP address in my range for example 40 quota so it covers all the clients in that range.

harsini

Post by harsini »

majimus wrote:I'm using distinct /24 for guest and regular hosts. I can see that the cuota is maintaining stats, however my guests are rate limited (using Qos) so they never hit the quota limit.

When time permits I will check and see what happen when they meet the limit.
harsini wrote:I found the problem.As it assumed that there is only one subnet for all interfaces so when I use "All Individual Hosts Without Explicit Quota" it wouldn't cover my new created subnet for guest network i.e 192.168.3.0/24
Have you thought about setting static IP by clients?They could access an extra quota by setting a another IP address in the range.
We should lock the client IP address with his mac.