Gargoyle as a WAP only

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

mix

Gargoyle as a WAP only

Post by mix »

Does anyone have any step by step instructions on using a router with Gargoyle installed as only a wireless access point (wap)? Kind of like these for dd-wrt:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wi ... cess_Point
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

DoesItMatter

Re: Gargoyle as a WAP only

Post by DoesItMatter »

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... 391#p11346

See that post

Should be what you are trying to accomplish
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

mix

Post by mix »

Isn't what you are describing a wireless bridge? This isn't a wap, unless I am missing something. A wap would be connected to the main router by ethernet. Yet this appears to be trying to connect via wifi.

Anyone remember the Linksys WAP54G devices? The whole point was to add wireless to an existing wired network. Is this functionality possible with Gargoyle (from the web interface)?
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

Yes, my bad - I got confused.

I'll post a config tutorial this weekend in a reply.

Should be almost identical config for the most part.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

mix

Post by mix »

Say I have a large building that I want to deploy wifi in. It is pretty commonly understood that you can switch between wireless AP's seamlessly (if you are roaming around with a laptop or something) if you set each AP to have the same SSID, same encryption type, and same passkey. The only difference is that you should put each AP on a different channel. If all of these AP's are connected back to a central router using ethernet as the backhaul, you can again see where the ability to disable nat and dhcp, and basically bridge the router is needed.

I guess if there is no obvious way to do this with the Gargoyle web interface, perhaps this whole discussion topic can be moved over to the feature request forum by one of the moderators. A feature like this could be enabled with only a couple button clicks, and probably should be listed under Connection->Basic->Device Configuration in the web interface. I have no idea if something like bandwidth monitoring or QoS would/could still work, but it would be interesting if they did.
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7