WMM and QOS

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

drewsk828

WMM and QOS

Post by drewsk828 »

Hi,
First off will say just installed Gargoyle. At a secondhand store I came across a WNDR3800CH for cheap so I bought it. Came to find out the "CH" variant is actually an ISP-branded model that potentially has some kind of backdoor built into the netgear firmware for the ISP to supposedly troubleshoot problems. So needless to say I wanted to rid myself of that firmware before using it.

Ended up trying dd-wrt first because I had used it before, but that was unsuccessful. Then I tried to flash a stock netgear firmware and that bricked it, because apparently the name string is different and it just crashes itself (thank goodness for TFTP). So then I found openwrt and put Luci on it but found Luci to be very limiting in its interface. So then found gargoyle, installed 1.7.2. This is basically like the netgear firmware with some nice additions, so I think I'll finally install this router on my home network.

Only question I have is regarding the QoS settings. If I just enable QoS checkbox (UL/DL) without adding any classifications does that pretty much function in this firmware the same way as WMM would by default? I.E. prioritizing voip > video > other traffic? Or does it need further config to do this?

Thanks, great interface you guys have made btw!

nworbnhoj

Re: WMM and QOS

Post by nworbnhoj »

Welcome to Gargoyle - you took the long road!

Yes - basic QOS will operate if you tick QOS Upload, QOS Download and QOS Download Active Congestion Control.

More info in this (recent) post http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... 600#p30598
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

drewsk828

Post by drewsk828 »

Cool thanks, QoS ran as suggested seems to be working good, no congestion issues. This firmware also seems to be much more friendly to making connections from outside the WAN i.e. my camera system and plex server from my phone when away. Used to sometimes have to start the connection several times for it to go through. Haven't seen a problem so far with this router now...

Came from a WNR2500, had been a good router but no dual-band or gigabit ethernet which is now a welcome improvement. Gargoyle saved me some money :)

danymarc

Post by danymarc »

nworbnhoj wrote:basic QOS will operate if you tick QOS Upload, QOS Download and QOS Download Active Congestion Control.
Doesn't he has to input 95% of his download & upload

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

danymarc wrote:Doesn't he has to input 95% of his download & upload
Yes - quite right! my omission ...
Specifying Total Download Bandwidth correctly is crucial to making QoS work. If you are using the active congestion then just set this to the maximum download speed your ISP will deliver. If you are using a PPPoE connection check your modem's webpage and set this to your DSL downlink speed.
In my experience on a 3G connection this is a little more tricky than it sounds. The maximum bandwidth "delivered" by the ISP is highly variable. On an excellent day (hour) I have seen 2000kbits/s, more typically 900kbits/sec and often down to sub 250kbits/sec. ACC seems to do some good work with Total Download Bandwidth set somewhere between 1000-1800kbits/sec

drewsk828

Post by drewsk828 »

Guess I was doing it wrong. I have an ADSL2+ connection. Sync rate is 14397down/1020up. Wish I could get more but the line is maxed out. I get about 13.5Mbit down and exactly 1Mbit up. I don't believe QoS has actually been active. Haven't had problems per se, but can't tell any difference on or off either. Downstream is not really an issue (only shared between 2 people). Upload can be an issue, though. What I need to do is leave a little bit available in the upload bandwidth when accessing remotely, even if just 128kbit, just enough to keep ping times from skyrocketing locally.

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

drewsk828 wrote:I don't believe QoS has actually been active. Haven't had problems per se
You can monitor what QoS is doing (and tune) using:
Gargoyle - Status - Connected List
Gargoyle - Firewall - QoS (Download) - Active Congestion Control
drewsk828 wrote:Haven't had problems per se
Ultimately this is what is important!