I can't copy videos to DLNA.

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Lobomoon

I can't copy videos to DLNA.

Post by Lobomoon »

So I put a 64Gb USB in my Gargoyle router and enabled it from System - DLNA menu. It shows in my Network Locations as a little penguin type icon but when I copy a video file and go into the icon the "Paste" option is grayed out. Do I need to do anything else to enable Copy - Paste function?

Lantis

Re: I can't copy videos to DLNA.

Post by Lantis »

You can't copy a file to a DLNA server. It is there to serve the media files to clients.

You need to now setup the drive in the USB storage section.
Then connect to the drive (if you are using windows, map it as a network drive).
Don't forget to set up a username and password and give that user full read AND write permissions.

Let me know how you get on.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Lobomoon

Post by Lobomoon »

OK. I set up the drive in USB storage but when I put videos on it they don't show up on DLNA. Also for some reason I can't access USB storage share from my WDTV Live.

Is it possible to set up the USB storage to be read/write accessible to anyone on my wireless network (preferably without user name and password) but blocked from the internet?

Also what "Allow access to FTP form WAN" do and should I enable it? (I'm new to this).

Finally, I'm a little confused by those CIFS / FTP / NFS things - what's the difference between them and which should I use?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

How long did you wait before checking DLNA? Technically they should update instantly, but I've seen it take longer. Also try rescanning the media folder (there's a button on the minidlna page).
Also what format are the videos? Some aren't supported.

im not sure why the WDTV can't see it I'm sorry. If you can see DLNA from any device then it is working as intended.

To allow all users access without a password you need to enable
CIFS/FTP anonymous access: Read write
NFS access: read write
NFS policy: allow anonymous.

I'm not too familiar with the differences between all 3 protocols. You can google them and make your own decisions on what needs to be enabled. I left them all on.

Don't enable "allow ftp access from WAN" if you don't want access to your drive from the Internet.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.