Web usage logged on Android tablet but not Android phone

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Hurra

Web usage logged on Android tablet but not Android phone

Post by Hurra »

Hi all

I understand that Gargoyle can't log Google searches that are done under someone's Google account as it is encrypted and there is no workaround. Does the same apply to browsing under your Google account?

I have a Galaxy S3 and see that when I am using the Google Chrome app with my Google account, no browsing is logged under Web Usage. However, if I use the stock browser, it logs it. So I am guessing the same limitation applies to web browsing and no workaround also applies. I just wanted to confirm.

Thanks

Edit: So my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with the Chrome app and it linked to my Google account is able to be logged by Gargoyle but my Galaxy S3 with the Chrome app and it also linked to my Google account can not (accessing http sites). I don't understand why Gargoyle can log one but not the other. Also, redirects in the Hosts file on the router are picked up by my tablet but not my phone.

Hurra

Re: Web usage logged on Android tablet but not Android phone

Post by Hurra »

I found the cause. My Chrome app on my S3 had Reduce Data Usage enabled while it was disabled on my tablet. I disabled it on my phone and now Gargoyle is logging web sites accessed by my phone, and also its not avoiding the hosts file.