Version 1.5.2 & 1.4.5

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

hnl_dk

Re: Version 1.5.2 & 1.4.5

Post by hnl_dk »

UsernameTaken wrote:
Have you tested if it is only WIFI or also wired
I plan to, but it will take a while before the router has slowed down to a crawl again, so trouble shooting will be time consuming.
ok.
Then the loginfo would be very helpful ;)
Router: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4
AP: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4

Maokuma

Post by Maokuma »

Hi, I thought that I should report how the 1.5.1 -> 1.5.2 went.

I own an Netgear 3700v1 (EU) and used the sysupgrade.bin upgrade.
Indeed it reseted my configuration but not more than that. I did not do an memory reset (30-30-30) as I had to when I got Gargoyle first.

With 1.5.1, I usually had disconnection problems with an TL-WN821N usb stick, that error does still persist. Exept that, 1.5.1 worked great! (Thanks) 8-)
But 5 hours after update to 1.5.2 the wireless ( 2.4ghz wpa2 psk *N-G-B*) bugged for all the machines (5) in the household except for an Samsung s2, I could reconnect for 2 minutes but to get the same error. Manually reseting the wireless restored the network for now.

I also noted that the usb performance is really bad. Can barely stream movies from the usb hdd. But the usb printer works.

I'll try out some more things and then make an error report if necessary. :geek:

mix

Post by mix »

Maokuma wrote: I also noted that the usb performance is really bad. Can barely stream movies from the usb hdd. But the usb printer works.
How are you streaming movies, over a Samba share?
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

keyboardcowboy

Forgetting QUotas used

Post by keyboardcowboy »

when quotas are used the router seems to forget "% Total used" if it looses power like for example if a user had used 8% the previous day and went to 22% the next day, then if the router restarts (looses power or power failure) then it would restart from 8% not from 22%..i had this issue with previous versions also but 1.4.2 seemed better and now iam on 1.4.5 and the issue seems to have returned

1.4.5 on TL-WR841ND v7.2

Maokuma

Post by Maokuma »

mix wrote:
Maokuma wrote: I also noted that the usb performance is really bad. Can barely stream movies from the usb hdd. But the usb printer works.
I have found out that the usb performance is only bad over wireless.
I have an NTFS (shows up as an fat32 on router) drive mounted as an CIFS. Before, I could have 2 to 3 computers stream non HD movies from the router over the wireless. But now it seems limited to wired computers only. I am just following the book, so I have no clue how to analyse this further. :?

hnl_dk

Post by hnl_dk »

Maokuma wrote:
mix wrote:
I have an NTFS (shows up as an fat32 on router) drive mounted as an CIFS. Before, I could have 2 to 3 computers stream non HD movies from the router over the wireless. But now it seems limited to wired computers only. I am just following the book, so I have no clue how to analyse this further. :?
Try to check the HDD on a Windows machine, to make sure what partitiontype it is.
It is not recommended to use NTFS partitions, as the FS is not running as fast on linux as the other ones.
But even though, do I use NTFS as the data partition on mine, and it is running perfectly.

Try to make a new thread here: http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=6
Then I will post a screenshot of my setup (that is not possible in the news section).
Router: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4
AP: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

Maokuma wrote:
mix wrote:
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... f=5&t=1109

Read, digest, comprehend, analyze, then test yourself.

Best performance will be EXT3/EXT4 format drives

USB overhead + Wireless overhead will use up all of your router CPU!

You may be better off hosting the file on a shared drive on a
LAN connected computer, then you should be able to have
wireless clients stream through the router.

These are Consumer routers... they were never made to handle
these types of loads and processing.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

UsernameTaken

Post by UsernameTaken »

hnl_dk wrote:
UsernameTaken wrote:I'm experiencing a significant slowdown after a while with 1.5.2 on a wr1043nd v 1.8.

In the beginning I have the following performance:
receive 11.5 Mbit/s
send 1.2 Mbit/s
latency 5ms

After 12 hours:
receive 1.2 Mbit/s
send 0.2 Mbit/s
latency 15ms

After a reboot I get back to full speed.

I used to have qos activated but I deactivated it and I see the same thing. Not sure if the performance hit is related to wireless performance or some something else but the tests were performed through a wireless connection (3 meter away from the router).
Have you tested if it is only WIFI or also wired)?
If it is possible, please try to connect a computer to router with a cable and enable remote logging ( http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... f=7&t=1736 ) and install a syslog server on that computer (for example http://www.solarwinds.com/products/free ... og_server/ ).
Then try to post the log in the period when the problem happens.

I changed to 1.4.5, but the exact same thing happened. This time I did check if the wired performance was affected. It was not. I conclude that it is a wireless issue. Furthermore, several laptops experienced the same wireless slowdown that could be instantly fixed once rebooted. So it's probably the router and not the fault of a single laptop.

The router is not in a place where I can easily hook up a computer so I've not been able to do the syslog thing, but since I do have access, maybe there are some commands I can run in a ssh session the next time it happens, that can help in the troubleshooting?

kamiller42

Post by kamiller42 »

I have a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH and experiencing wifi slowdown too. Works great after a reboot and then crawls hours later. This is better than before when wifi would just die after a while.

Something I have noticed is whatever is holding down wifi goes away quickly when clicking reboot now. I was streaming video. It was stuck in buffering. I click reboot now, and the video almost instantly starts streaming freely. The router shutsdown and I lose connection till it restarts.

UsernameTaken

Post by UsernameTaken »

Now, it seems, the wifi died completely, but I could start it without a reboot by initiating it again (using the command wifi) over shh. I activated syslog (but to memory). Hopefully that will telll us what is going on.

I also suspect that when mix report that:
I have found out that the usb performance is only bad over wireless
... it might be the same problem. Try rebooting and see if it possible to stream over wifi then.